Good friends who became family

May 7, 2014

By Lucas Wimmer

When I got to college, I was lucky. Unlike a lot of students, I knew exactly what I wanted to do: major in political science and go to law school.
After that didn’t pan out, I was positive I wanted to major in English and become an author.
When I realized I didn’t want to live in a van down by the river while I waited for my books to sell, I decided I really wanted to teach high school English.
By the time my junior year rolled around, I had accepted the fact that I actually had no idea what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, probably because I was a 20-year-old kid.
When I chose journalism as a major and started taking classes, I was still unsure if that was what I wanted to do forever. In March of last year, I started writing for the Royal Purple.
I have only one regret about starting to write for the newspaper: that I did not start doing it sooner.
When people tell you to get involved in programs in your major, listen to them. I thought I knew a lot about journalism after taking some classes, and then I stepped in the Royal Purple newsroom and realized I basically knew nothing.
The Royal Purple has taught me immense amounts about how the field of journalism really works. Even more valuable to me, though, are the friendships I made while I worked here.
I am a pretty awkward kid, and that really showed my first few years in college. I did not like being surrounded by people I didn’t know, and only hung out with kids I knew from high school.
When I first started working at the Royal Purple, and even for the first few weeks of my tenure as assistant news editor last semester, I came in, put my head down, did my work and left.
When I finally started to open up to everyone, I formed a lot of bonds that I will never forget.
As a kid who was new to the field and was constantly worried that I was doing something wrong or was going to ruin the paper that week, everyone did their best to make me feel comfortable. I appreciate that more than you all know.
Andie, Abbie, Sam and Carol, thanks for not ever yelling at me too much when I messed up. The knowledge you all have passed on to me is invaluable, and I really appreciate it.
Kevin, Dan, Alex, Chris, Jacqueline, Abrielle, Alyssa, Andrea, Amanda and Rumasa, thanks for always making Monday nights fun. I hope you all keep in touch, and I wish you all the best in the future.
Mike, thanks for approaching me last year and persuading me to write for the news section. If you would not have taken that initiative, I am positive I would not be writing this letter.
Ben and Josh, the oldest college students I know, thanks for everything. I hope when you finally graduate that you invite me to your graduation parties. Then, in a few years, your retirement parties as well.
To my family and my fiancée, Chelsea, thanks for always supporting me, even if I was being dumb, stubborn or extremely forgetful.
I used to be scared to graduate. I wanted to be the next Van Wilder and not move on for the next eight years or so. Thanks to everyone at the Royal Purple, I am confident to graduate on May 17, and I am excited to see what’s next for me professionally.