PL&H: The perfect autumn look
September 30, 2015
Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.
Email This Story
By Alexandria Goodwin- Salas
Hello all! Last week I wrote about spicing up hot apple cider for the upcoming chilly days. This week, we’re talking about an autumn makeup look. Sorry gentlemen, if you don’t want to read about makeup then I suggest you turn your attention to Jordan Moser’s “Bro…”
I don’t know about you, but when I hear the word autumn I immediately think of warm drinks, layering clothing, leaves changing color, and the chance to play around with my makeup for the first time in months.
I tend to lose my hard earned tan from the summer as the leaves lose their own green hue and my skin gets a bit pale, so I put away that dark foundation and bring out my fair tones. Please ladies if you don’t “fake bake” in the winter months, and I don’t recommend it, go out and buy a lighter shade for yourself
However, I’m not here to talk about foundation shades and all that can go wrong with that. I would much rather focus on eyes and lips for this look. Eyes and lips are the easiest areas to get creative with your autumn look, but you’ve got to choose some nice neutral colors with a pop (don’t worry you’ll understand soon).
I used to go cheap on makeup, then I realized cheap is not always better. Over summer I spent a little more money and bought four quality items and now I use them almost daily.
These items are essential to the perfect autumn look: Too Faced’s “Perfect Flush Blush,” Urban Decay’s “Naked2 basics,” Sephora’s bronze with gold speckles eye shadow (a name isn’t given) and Burt’s Bees’ “Starry Night” lip gloss.
Here’s a little rundown on how to create the perfect autumn look:
- Start with your normal routine to create a base on your face.
- Blush: Apply Too Faced blush on the apples of your cheeks.
Helpful hint: Apply the blush after your liquid or cream foundation, it’ll stay on longer as the day continues.
- Eye shadow: Use Urban Decay’s “skimp” as your base and underneath your brow and use Sephora’s shadow on the lid, making it slightly darker in the crease and outside corner of your eye.
- Eyeliner: I always go for the cat eye or a simple flick (try to keep the attention on the eye shadow). Use white eyeliner on your water line to make yourself look more awake, for all you early risers.
Helpful hint: Liquid eyeliner will give you a smoother, straighter line than a pencil or a gel pencil.
- Curl them lashes and paint some mascara on them.
- Lips: Burt’s Bees’ “Starry Night” is a lip gloss, so paint your lips with the rich berry color.
There you have it ladies, a quick and simple autumn look. It’s perfect for any time of day, whether it be a night on the town with the girls, a coffee date at the Sweet Spot with that boy you’ve had your eye on, or chilling by a fire with a couple of friends. Wherever you choose to wear this look I hope you have fun and make it look your own.