Charter school voted in Monday

In a landmark decision Monday night, the City of Whitewater will now have a charter school in its school district.

The Whitewater Unified School District Board approved the contract for Lincoln Inquiry Charter School, replacing Lincoln Elementary. The charter school will open this fall.

Running under the mission to provide an integrated, multi-age, inquiry based education to empower global leaders to meet challenges and opportunities of the 21st century, the charter school was awarded a $250,000 grant from the Wisconsin Department of Instruction last summer.

LINCS will be funded the same as the other schools in the district, and governing council chairperson Jessie Dugan said the school may even be a possible revenue producer.

“We’re really excited for this opportunity for kids and families but also for Whitewater as a community,” Dugan said. “Having a charter school affects the entire community in a really positive way.”

Dugan said what makes LINCS and any other charter school different from any normal school is the manner in which the children are taught.

Children are placed in classrooms with children of different ages and abilities. Instead of grouping students through grade levels, they are regrouped by their different learning abilities.

And instead of changing teachers every year like a normal elementary school, LINCS students will remain with the same teacher or same group of teachers for two years.

“In the inquiry learning model, students are investigating something,” Dugan said. “They have a question and they want an answer. The challenging is harnessing the energy of the student and funneling it into learning the valuable skills one needs. That’s what will take place at LINCS.”