• April 7The man who was spotted with a gun near Whitewater Middle School has been taken into custody without incident, according to the Whitewater Police Department.

Holiday music: how one song impacts my life

By Angelic Thompson

Dec. 9, 2015

It is the holiday season and the time where you hear the same holiday songs over and over again. Songs like “Silent Night” or “Jingle Bells” are a couple of the most common holiday songs you will hear throughout the month of December, but I am here to talk about my favorite song.

Since I can remember, I have always loved this time of year but I could do without the snow and ice. The holiday season is special and is a happy time for my family. I always hope it will be like that that year. We all go through struggles in our lives, but when it comes to the holiday season, songs can make us happy in some sort of way.

Mariah Carey’s, “All I Want for Christmas is You” is the song I love to hear each holiday season. It was released by Columbia Records on November 1, 1994, a little less than a year before I was born.  This song has a special place in my heart because of my family. While growing up, my dad was in the military and he missed a lot of milestones I made, like my first day of school. When holidays came around, all I wanted was for him to be there with us. My family and I were lucky enough to have him there for the holidays. Once my dad passed away, it was hard on my family to celebrate the holidays because all we wanted is for him to be there. So when I listen to this song every year, it makes feel like he is always with us no matter where we go.

It’s the holiday season so enjoy these songs while we can. Have a safe and fun winter break.