UW-W announces Dean of Students finalists, forums

Compiled by Kimberly Wethal

April 29, 2016

Closing in on seventh months after former Dean of Students MaryBeth Mackin’s death, UW-Whitewater announced the four final candidates Wednesday to permanently take over the post.

Associate Director of University Housing Terry Tumbarello took on the role as interim Dean of Students last fall following her Nov. 7, 2015 death.

The role of the Dean of Students is to serve as the head of the Student Affairs department within UW-W’s administration, support students and faculty with concerns relating to academic performance or mental health issues, resolve student misconduct and serve as the Title IX coordinator for campus.

The four candidate’s forums will take place Monday through Thursday next week. Listed in the order of the days their forums will be hosted, the candidate pool is as follows:

Jesse Grant

Grant is currently an Academic Advisor for Eastern Gateway Community College in Youngstown, Ohio, but has served as the Dean of Students for Shawnee State University in Portland, Oregon and University of Alaska Southeast in Juneau.

His open-campus forum will be held from 2:30-3:15 p.m. May 2 in UC 259A, and his student-hosted open forum will take place from 4:30-5:15 p.m. on the same day in the Warhawk Connection Center.

Ryan Bouchard

Bouchard currently serves as the Assistant Vice President for Student Development at Edgewood College in Madison, Wisconsin, having served as the Dean of Students for the institution in 2015 and the associate Dean of Students from 2008 to 2014.

His open-campus forum will be held from 2:30-3:15 p.m. May 3 in UC 68, and his student-hosted open forum will take place from 4:30-5:15 p.m. on the same day in the Warhawk Connection Center.

Artanya Wesley

Wesley currently serves as the Senior Academic Planner for the UW System administration, and has previously served as the Dean of Students at UW-Platteville.

Her open-campus forum will be held from 2:30-3:15 p.m. May 4 in UC 259A, and her student-hosted open forum will take place from 4:30-5:15 p.m. on the same day in the Warhawk Connection Center.

Heather Harbach

Harbach currently works at UW-Milwaukee as the Assistant Dean of Students, previously having worked as a Neighborhood Relations Liaison and the Director of Residence Life at the university.

Her open-campus forum will be held from 2:30-3:15 p.m. May 5 in UC 69, and her student-hosted open forum will take place from 4:30-5:15 p.m. on the same day in the Warhawk Connection Center.