• April 7The man who was spotted with a gun near Whitewater Middle School has been taken into custody without incident, according to the Whitewater Police Department.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is incredible

But latest installment has plot holes, severe character faults

Graphic by Carlie Sue Herrick / Graphics Editor

Brad Allen, Biz & Tech Editor

Another year, another Call of Duty—only this time with Jon Snow as the lead villain.

Kit Harrington, who plays the Game of Thrones hero, is featured as Admiral Salen Kotch, leader of the evil-doing human colony on Mars. But the lead villain only appears a few times during the campaign, and his character is never developed nor has his motives explained, which makes the villain feel very two-dimensional.

The makers of the Modern Warfare series and Ghosts have returned with their fifth installment into the 16-games-and-counting Call of Duty series.

Infinite Warfare is a futuristic first-person-shooter set almost entirely in space, with some missions taking place on various planets in the solar system.

Campaign mode

Infinite Warfare’s campaign is loaded with stunning visuals and quests to blow up every single enemy spacecraft in the solar system.  This Call of Duty game feels more like Star Trek went full agro.

The story takes place in the year 2080, after humans had long before settled on other planets and moons to harvest resources to create an artificial atmosphere to protect Earth, since its natural atmosphere was depleted by climate change. The colonies on other planets successfully rebelled and seceded from Earth control 30 years before the story, forming the Settlement Defense Front (SDF). The SDF attacks Earth and starts a planetary war, and somehow, the Earth’s only remaining two ships are supposed to take out the entire enemy fleet.

My favorite aspect of the campaign is the bromance between main protagonist Captain Nick Reyes and his robot companion “Ethan,” along with the close friendship between Reyes and his second-in-command Lieutenant Nora Salter. Ethan stands out more than the other characters through his witty sarcasm and absolute badassery.

Players can choose the order in which they complete various missions, which is totally new for Call of Duty. This installment is less traditional and breaks new ground with gadgets like anti-gravity grenades and thrilling space combat. Many of the missions involve flying around in a spacecraft and blasting apart countless starships, and the boots-on-the-ground missions are more memorable.

But the incredible story mode isn’t without fault.

First off, the game never gives any back story whatsoever on Admiral Kotch. Who is this dude? Why does he keep muttering cheesy one-liners and ending transmissions with his “Mars Aternum” mic drop? Plus, his death is lame and is the most anti-climactic moment of the game.

There are many forgivable plot holes, and there are a few major ones, but the biggest fault lies that the story is supposed to take place all in one day. That includes traveling through space and literally destroying thousands of starships one by one. Really? So you’re telling me that the A-Team traveled from Earth to Pluto in three seconds? It’s nit-picky, but it would have been such an easy fix to just not have our main characters say, “rough day, huh?” every time someone dies.

Multiplayer mode

The multiplayer is consistent with other Call of Duty games with only the scenery feeling very different. The various maps are set either on planet outposts or on the decks of a damaged spaceship.

My favorite map is set aboard a starship that is about to be sucked into a black hole. Although it has an amazing view for you to peak at in between murdering plebs, it lacks the level of intensity you’d expect. For example, your starship isn’t slowly approaching the black hole, instead it just sits there. It would be so much cooler if the entire map shifted toward impending doom, with players caught out in the open space outside the ship being sucked into the black hole.

Their new gadgets make the multiplayer combat more interesting than previous installment Black Ops 3, which all of my close friends know very well (and most of them agree with me) how much I feel that last year’s game is absolute garbage. Infinite Warfare isn’t the best game I’ve ever played, but you can tell the developers really gave it their all and put their heart into their work this year. For that, and for the breathtaking settings in space, I’m enjoying this new game quite a bit.

Zombies mode

The backstory is interesting: You’re all Hollywood tryouts hoping to star in a horror film, directed by a madman who throws actual zombies at you as he rolls the camera.

The four protagonists in this mode aren’t overly intriguing, but the gameplays is solid. It’s the classic zombies mode where players run around, kill hordes of undead, use all kinds of different guns and gadgets and simply survive for as long you can.

My favorite part about this goofy mode is the killer clowns. Every five rounds or so, an army of undead clowns charges at you doing high leg-raises while tooting their horns and waving their hands around. I spat out my drink when I first encountered these creepy clowns.

Modern Warfare 1 Remastered

Infinity Ward has also given us a complete reboot of one of their first Call of Duty game—one of the greatest games of all time.

My cousin and I used to max on this game, and it’s still just as fun now as it was when we were 12-years-old.

The story mode is perfectly refurbished, with the graphical capabilities being vastly better than its initial release in 2007. The characters beloved by many fans are given the chance to shine again in this fantastic reboot.

The multiplayer is back as well, with everything being exactly the same as I remembered it before the community stopped playing it way back when. Sometimes the greatest video game entertainment comes from the nostalgia of playing an old favorite game, instead of new games that almost always try too hard to break new ground and fall short, or fail miserably (looking at you, Black Ops 3).

Despite my grievances about the plot holes bigger than the hole in Earth’s atmosphere, Infinite Warfare, along with the remastered version of Modern Warfare, is an excellent double-game release. It’s definitely worth playing, and I actually feel enthused about playing Call of Duty multiplayer again.

Final rating: 4 out of 5 stars