Wrestlers deliver a slice of victory

Ben Lokken, Staff Writer

The UW-Whitewater wrestling team finished off a busy weekend with mostly successful results.  The Warhawks ended Jan 21. with  three wins and one loss in a three day span to improve their overall record to 10-6 (3-2 in WIAC). 

On Jan. 19, the 12th ranked Warhawks headed up for a showdown UW-La Crosse for their last WIAC meet of the season. 

The Warhawks were edged out by three points or fewer in three different matches but were still able to keep it close all night long.

UW-W brought the contest within one going into the last two matches but couldn’t close the deal and the Eagles took home a
23-13 victory. 

“We just lost a couple toss up matches that didn’t go our way,” sophomore Nickolas Bonomo said. “Afterwards we came together as
a team”

Seniors Zach Denny and Joseph Brodman earned decision victories in their respective matches.

Junior Jordan Newman won a major decision 15-2 to bring the Warhawks within one point at a team score of 14-13.

On Jan. 21 the Warhawks earned 3 victories at the Rocky Rococo Border Brawl Duels against North Central College (Illinois), Concordia University (Wisconsin) and Harper College (Illinois) at Kachel Fieldhouse in Whitewater.

“We had more of a sense of urgency,” head coach Ned Schuck said.  “We wanted to really get after it.” 

In their first meet on Saturday the Warhawks defeated North Central (Illinois) by a final score of 31-15. 

Bonomo at 174 lbs. defeated Matt Marcotte via technical fall with a score of 17-1 at 174 lbs.

Freshman Mike Kouvelis (165 lbs.), junior Austin Quartullo (157 lbs.) and senior Joseph Brodman (133 lbs.) earned wins by fall.

Senior Zac Denny (125 lbs.) and Freshman Mac Casella (149 lbs.) earned decision victories. 

In the second meet of the day the Warhawks took on Concordia.

The Warhawks dominated the Falcons by a final score of 40-5.  The Warhawks won all but one match and had fall victories.

Jordan Newman (184 lbs.), Bonomo (174 lbs.), Mac Casella (149 lbs.) and Mike Tortorice (125 lbs.) all one their matches via fall.

Brodman (133 lbs.) won his match via major decision by a score of 17-7

Jordan Festge (285 lbs.), Nate Mlodzik (165 lbs.), Austin Quartullo (157 lbs.) and Devin Tortorice (141 lbs.) all earned decision victories in their matches.

In their last meet of the afternoon the Warhawks handled their competition beating Harper (Illinois) 51-6.  Several matches ended up resulting in forfeits which lead to few results from actual matches.  However, the Warhawks won all the matches they participated in.

“We have those expectations to dominate” said Schuck.  “We’re just really excited”

Bonomo (174 lbs.), Brodman (133 lbs.), Kouvelis (165 lbs.) and Nick Sunderberg (197 lbs.) also posted victories by fall.

Freshman Sam Ryner (184 lbs.) also won by decision, 8-6. 

This was the UW-W’s final WIAC and home meet of the season, extending the team’s win streak to three.

“I like the direction the team is heading,” Bonomo said.  “We are excited for the opportunities we are presented.”

The Warhawks season rolls on at the Pete Willson-Wheaton Invitational in Wheaton, Illinois on Jan. 27-28th.