‘We’re all a masterpiece being written’

Maximo Anguiano urges self-investment, diversity in order to reach success

Speaker+and+advocate+Maximo+Anguiano+drives+home+a+message+to+a+group+of+students+and+faculty+during+a+workshop+on+running+nonprofit+organizations+and+social+activism.+Anguiano+urged+attendees+to+work+together+in+society.+
Speaker and advocate Maximo Anguiano drives home a message to a group of students and faculty during a workshop on running nonprofit organizations and social activism. Anguiano urged attendees to work together in society.

Photo by Sierra High / Photo Editor

Photo by Sierra High / Photo Editor

Brad Allen, Biz & Tech Editor

Investment. Intensity. Diversity. Never hold oneself back or doubt one’s own ability to succeed.

Meeting with incarcerated individuals to offer tips on how to steer towards a more successful path and pushing students to bring their own brilliance into the real world are the two greatest motivations for Maximo Anguiano.

The executive director of the Adelante Education and Leadership Fund has spent several years traveling the United States speaking with prison inmates and college or high school students in a grand effort to promote success mainly through networking, bridging diversity gaps and self-branding.

Anguiano visited UW-Whitewater and hosted a day-long event titled Latin-X Business Day on Feb. 15. Morning workshops were held in Hyland Hall Room 2203, and afternoon seminars and a keynote speech were held in the Timmerman Auditorium of Hyland Hall.

“Investing in yourself is the number one investment you can make,” Anguiano said. “Many of you are on that path just by being in college—you’re here investing in yourselves.”

Anguiano pointed out that all well-known figures, such as former President Barack Obama, singers Beyoncé or Bruno Mars, athlete Serena Williams, actress Ellen DeGeneres and body-building superstar Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson have all worked to self-brand themselves with intense effort over several years.

It’s all about investing in yourself. You think Bruno Mars woke up like this?”

— Maximo Anguiano, Executive Director of Adelante Education & Leadership Fund

“It’s all about investing in yourself,” Anguiano said, “You think Bruno Mars woke up like this?”

He added that it is never too late to start investing in oneself, nor is it impossible to repair a damaged brand, as long as the individual is sincere and honest about their own improvement.
“It is my life’s purpose and mission to extract the greatness that is within you all,” Anguiano said. “We’re all a masterpiece that is being written right now.”

Assistant Dean of the College of Business and Economics (COBE) Stephanie Douglas coordinated the event with the help of Han Ngo, a COBE adviser and coordinator of the multiplatform business program. Student organization Latinos Unidos also assisted with coordinating the event.

Douglas said Anguiano has wide experience in social entrepreneurship and activism. She added that he is able to help students meld their passions into the business world.

Business is more than just making money, it’s also about giving back to the community. Maximo understands that very well, and this event fits in very well with what we’re trying to do with COBE.”

— Stephanie Douglas, Assistant Dean of COBE

“Business is more than just making money, it’s also about giving back to the community,” Douglas said. “Maximo understands that very well, and this event fits in very well with what we’re trying to do with COBE.”

Any student should have been able to come away with something meaningful from the event, Douglas said, adding that one of the main purposes of the event was to establish what the next generation can accomplish.

“Maximo is a very influential person,” Sophomore Miguel Miranda said. “He knows how to work a room.”

Miranda attended the first workshop about running a nonprofit organization. He said the workshop laid out which characteristics students need to perform well as a professional, such as being well-rounded and understanding the links between business, technology, psychology and markets.

One key characteristic to success is taking advantage of opportunities, being involved and having an open mind, Miranda said.

“Getting to know your strengths and weaknesses is a good thing,” Miranda said.

The event was partially aimed at promoting diversity on campus and in the workplace.

Junior Daisy Mata, President of Latinos Unidos, said she felt great to see the event have a diverse turnout among students and faculty who came to support the speaker and benefit from the workshops.

It makes me happy to see people from all backgrounds, and not just the Latin-X community.”

— Daisy Mata, UW-W junior and president of Latinos Unidos

“It makes me happy to see people from all backgrounds, and not just the Latin-X community,” Mata said.

Latin-X is a gender-neutral term for the Hispanic community, which shows progressiveness, Mata said.

“As a Latina student, there’s not as many students I can identify with on a predominantly white campus,” Mata said. “But these kinds of events help bridge that gap and makes students feel like they’re not alone. You just have to find your place.”

Senior Andre Agosto said Anguiano was willing to connect with his audience and provide on-the-spot tips based on his experience.

“It takes a lot of research beforehand to be able to provide meaningful on-the-spot content,” Agosto said. “There’s a lot of importance in connecting with the audience on a deeper level.”

The event drew in members of the community as well. Whitewater resident Jane Foll attended the event with her daughter, Sarah.

Jane Foll said she thought Anguiano connected well with his audience and offering advice to students that other speakers might not.

“He [Anguiano] is very concerned about the students and he gave them tips about what the real world is like,” Jane Foll said. “I think that’s really great to have that, and students need to hear that.”

Sarah Foll agreed and said Anguiano’s message on building your own character and investing in oneself was very meaningful.

Anguiano said he believes if the general public works together from an interpersonal standpoint, then from there society can build and advance our causes and missions.

He added that people should focus on positive aspects of striving for success, rather than the negative obstacles in the way.

“Buy into the positives—eventuate it,” Anguiano said. “The world needs your brilliance and our shine.”

Anguiano offered several tips on how build a positive and successful brand for oneself. His advice included:

Buy a suit you like, because it can help a person feel more confident and professional. But it’s not all about what you wear, rather how you wear it, Anguiano said, adding that he chooses to buy suits under $200 that look similar to suits that might cost upwards of $800.

Be honest and genuine, because people don’t want to work with someone whom they don’t trust. You have to make people want to work with you.

Take care of yourself, or else others in the business world will not feel you are worth their time. Good personal hygiene is key.

Give a firm handshake, because when someone gives a weak handshake, the other person might lose respect for them right off the bat.

Go to conferences and seminars. Take advantage of opportunities that come your way, and you will have far better chances of getting hired and reaching success.

Use business cards with extra-thick card stock. It shows that you are different than others and that you are willing to put in the extra time, money and effort to better sell yourself.

Use as much space as you have available on your resume. Filling out an entire page with small type doesn’t look as aesthetic as a half-page of neat type, but it shows that someone has taken the time to list everything they possibly can, and it also shows that the individual has more skills and experience to offer.

Anguiano said he doesn’t have an official title, and he doesn’t prefer titles because they are “too boxy and one-track-minded.” He considers himself a creative and dynamic entrepreneur.

“Everything I learned in life, I learned on the football field,” Anguiano said. “I grew up playing competitive football, and it helped me learn how to attack problems from different angles and persevere.”

The event focused on leadership, running businesses and nonprofit organizations, as well as building one’s personal brand and personal and social activism. The keynote also addressed how many individuals within the Latin-X community feel “under attack” in the current political and social era, Anguiano said.

Three years ago, Anguiano became serious about his career after being employed by the Adelante Education Leadership Fund, a nonprofit organization of which he later became the Executive Director. Adelante provides internships, scholarships, leadership seminars and executive coaching.

“Where would any of us be if someone didn’t push us in the right direction a little bit—didn’t challenge us,” Anguiano said. “Many of our young people in schools right now are just bored. They can’t identify with what’s happening in a classroom setting and how they can apply that to their craft to be successful.”

A high dose a leadership, self-direction and a sense of belonging and importance in the world helps make individuals much more focused, Anguiano said.

Anguiano has worked extensively with incarcerated individuals in hopes of providing life-changing advice to help them find a successful career path.

“To witness their tragedy and heartbreak is something I’ll never forget,” Anguiano said. “Working with them has been one of the most rewarding things in the past few years.”

Anguiano said he believes all students and community members could find something to take away from similar events in the future.

“I’m not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, and I don’t want to be,” Anguiano said. “But I can guarantee everyone can get someone out of events like this to build synergy. We’re living in a world where we need each other to get where we want to go. It’s not about me, it’s about we.”