Van Duyn wins overall competition

Maddie Drain, Staff Writer

The No. 14 ranked University of Wisconsin-Whitewater women’s bowling team (37-25), placed sixth out of the 23-team, three day Stephen F. Austin Ladyjack Invitational in Houston, Texas.

Senior Amanda Van Duyn said the team was disappointed walking into the tournament ranked No. 14, but used it as motivation to push harder and move up in the standings.

“This is the lowest ranking we have had in awhile,” Van Duyn said.

The Warhawks started off strong Friday, Feb. 10, earning a 4-0 record with victories over Jackson State University, No. 19 Prairie View A&M University, Texas Southern University, and fourth-ranked Sam Houston State University.

“We worked hard leading up in practice, and we executed,” Van Duyn said.

Whitewater had a total pinfall of 5,078, or 203.1 pins per game, third behind the No. 3 McKendree University with 5,275.

The team carried the success to Saturday and went 4-1 for the day. With an 8-1 record, the ’Hawks were ranked as the No. 3 seed. The team improved its total pinfall to 10,143 with an average of 202.9 per game.

Van Duyn was named the tournament’s Most Valuable Player and placed first out of 154 competitors.

“It is my first MVP award in college,” Van Duyn said. “I matched up really well with the lanes this weekend.”

With a high of 268 and averaging 230.3, Van Duyn was not blind to the impact of her teammates successes on her own.

They contributed to making moves and making transitions easier which also led to my success this weekend,” Van Duyn said.

Senior Ashleigh Miller placed 20th with a 204.4 average. Senior Taylor Hoope finished 31st with a 198.4, and sophomore Emma Kuhn was 43rd with a 191.4.

Feeling the pressure of her final season, Van Duyn said she has her eye on the prize.

“It’s my last chance at the National Title and I want nothing more,” Van Duyn said

’Hawks began best-of-seven Baker bracket play Sunday where all five members of the team combine to bowl two frames a piece for one combined score. The No. 3 seed ’Hawks were defeated by No. 7 Stephen F. Austin University, Sam Houston State, and No. 2 Arkansas State University in Baker play.

Van Duyn stated that the team was disappointed with the performance on Sunday.

We kind of lost it on Sunday, but we had the other two days to back up our bad day,” Van Duyn said.

On Feb. 17, the Warhawks will head to Chicago for Valparaiso’s Crusader Classic at Lakewood Bowl in Richton Park, Illinois.