Gymnasts win four team meet

Bailey Johnston, Staff Writer

The UW-Whitewater gymnastics team remained undefeated after the Feb. 10 Harley Davidson Meet featuring four teams at the Wisconsin Center in Milwaukee.

The ’Hawks earned the victory with a score of 188.900 while competing against Division-I, Southeast Missouri State University (187.575), Winona State University (Minnesota)(186.850), and UW- Eau Claire (185.075).

After starting the meet with an overall low score on the vault, the Hawks secured the victory with a strong finish in uneven parallel bars, balance beam and floor exercise by posting two of the 20 highest scores in program history.

Sophomore Lisa O’Donnell stood strong throughout the whole meet, tying for second on vault, third for beam, second on the uneven bars and finished the meet with a win on her floor routine. She ended with an overall score of 38.550, placing her first place overall and tying her career highest score.

“Lisa stood out, she nailed every event and I think that carried,” senior Katie Fiorilli said.

While senior Courtney Pickett struggled with an injury, she still tied for sixth place with freshman Lauren Marshall after a score of 9.375 on vault, tied for sixth on beam, and took 12th in her floor routine. 

The ’Hawks struggled with the vault overall posting the second worst score of the four teams, 46.375, the ’Hawks were able to make up for lost time with the uneven bars.

Senior Mackenzie Smith stood strong, taking the top spot with a score of 9.700, tying the No. 21 score in program history.

Junior Kate Mierow tied for fifth with a 9.525, while junior Mckenzie Foster tied for tenth. Fiorilli tied for 13th place.

Sophomore Franchesca Hutton continued the momentum by finishing second on the balance beam, adding a No. 11 result to the program record book with a score of 9.600.

Smith looked great on the balance beam with a score of 9.450 placing her in eighth while junior McKenzie Foster tied for ninth with a score
of 9.400.

O’Donnell executed her job on the floor, finishing in first with a score of 9.800, tying for the No. 7 score in program history. Mierow and junior Lewa Evans tied for seventh with a score of  9.600, Pickett received 12th and Hutton placed 21st. This concluded an overall score of 47.475 for the Hawks.

UW-W will be hosting UW-Oshkosh at 4:30 p.m. on Feb. 18 at the Williams Center. The Warhawks will be raising awareness and funds for breast cancer while they wear pink. They will also be recognizing their fifth anniversary of the 2012 National Championship team on Alumni Day.