‘Hawks succeed at Titan Challenge

Matt Gilson, Staff Writer

The Warhawk’s men’s and women’s track teams took to the track for a showdown at the Titan Challenge on Feb. 18 at UW-Oshkosh. Both teams were highly successful overall with the women’s team earning a second place finish out of 12 teams, and the men’s squad taking home the top spot with a first place finish out of
seven teams.

Also the throwers traveled to Madison to compete in the Wisconsin Shell Shocker Invitational on Friday Feb, 17.

Senior Levi Perry placed second in the weight throw, and junior Theron Baumann placed third in the shot put with distances of 19.13 and 17.84 meters respectively. Baumann broke his own school record in the event. Senior Amanda Strupp also placed fifth in the weight throw.

Women set record

The women’s 4×400 relay team of freshman Abbie Felton, junior Enyo Amet, senior Leah Richter and senior Meredith Porter set a new school record with a time of 3:50.93 minutes. They won the event easily, besting the next team by 17 full seconds.

Off of the track Strupp won the weight throw with a personal record (PR) of 17.97 meters. Strupp said it was a PR by .22 meters.

“It felt awesome,” Strupp said. “I was extremely happy with
my PR.”

She noted she was surprised by the performance considering they had meets back to back days.

The women’s squad will look forward to holding onto their momentum going into the WIAC indoor championships
next weekend.

“As a team, we did really good as a whole and are peaking at the right time,” Strupp said. “I’m super excited to see what we can do as a team going into conference. Not only that but, I’m feeling confident in what we can accomplish on the national level. I think there will be big things happening this weekend in all events for both the men and women’s teams.”

Men win the Challenge

Senior DuVaun Goodlow won the high jump with a height of 2.07 meters, a personal record and a mark good for sixth in D-III. Sophomore Cameron Magee also placed third in the event with a height of 1.92 meters.

Sophomore jumper Matt Green won the triple jump with a PR of 14.06 meters, which is good enough for third in the WIAC.

Back on the track, the ’Hawks were also successful in the 60-meter dash taking the second, third and fifth spots. Freshmen dominated the event with Josh Iraci taking second, with Leonard Carson in third and Oren Henderson-Zintz in fifth.

Freshman Alec Masters ran a PR in the 400-meter dash. He took second in the event overall with a time of 50.83 seconds, less than a half second behind first.

Both the men’s and women’s Warhawks will be back in action at the WIAC indoor track and field championships on February 24 and 25. The championships will be hosted by UW-Stout.