Track squad wins flurry of first places

Men’s and women’s teams improve on last seasons finish

Erika Sternard

UW-Whitewater Track Athletes cheer of junior Celeste Madda on the final turn to win the 200 meter dash at the WIAC Conference Championship February 25, 2017. (Erika Sternard)

Maddie Drain, Staff Writer

The Warhawk men’s track and field team took third with 105 total points at the WIAC Indoor Championships on Feb. 25. The women’s team finished fourth with 84.50 total points.

The women improved 30 points and jumped three spots over last year’s seventh place score of  50.5 points. The men beat last season’s third place score by 25 points.

Junior Parker Witt won two individual titles in the 60-meter dash and the 200-meter dash. Witt earned a new career best of 6.75.

Sophomore Celeste Madda won her first individual title in the 200 meter dash with a season best of 25.23. Madda placed fourth in the 60-meter dash with a 7.82 which ranks her fifth in the Division.

“It felt amazing to win my first conference title,” Madda said. “The competition was really strong, I just had to want it more than them.”

Freshman Christian Jackson, senior Levi Perry, and senior DeVaun Goodlow also earned their first WIAC Indoor individual titles. Jackson won the 60-meter hurdles with a career best of 8.18 and is ranked in the top 10 of the Division.

Perry won the weight throw and is second in the Division with a throw of 61-09.5 (18.83 meters). “It was nice to win,” Perry said. “I’ve never been on top of the podium before.”

Fouling out of last years conference meet, Perry said he was determined to use his final year of eligibility to get redemption.

“I have to be better,” Perry said. “The medal is nice, but the season is far from over, and I want to win Nationals.”

Goodlow won the high jump with a 6-09.25 (2.07 meters). Junior Cameron Magee leaped into second place with 6-09.25 also, and contributed to the 18 total points earned in high jump. Both Goodlow and Magee are ranked in the top 10 of the Division.

Sophomore Matt Green earned eight points and placed second in the triple jump with a mark of 45-09 (13.94 meters). On top of taking second, Green was also named to the WIAC All-Sportsmanship team.

The 4×400 relay team of freshman Abbie Felton, junior Enyo Amet, senior Leah Richter, and senior Meredith Porter won the relay with a time of 3:53.57.

Senior Amanda Strupp finished second in the weight throw with a 57-00 (17.37 meters), and freshman Sydney Rossow placed third in the 60 meter hurdles with the career-best time of 9.00.

The WIAC All-Sportsmanship team also named sophomore distance runner Liz Mielke.

Madda stated that the strength of the women’s team comes from the support they have for each other, and that will be a main factor for continuing improvement.

“We have a very strong team this year,” Madda said.  “We all contribute in our own ways.”

The Warhawk men and women track and field teams will have one last chance to qualify for nationals on March 3 at UW-Platteville and March 4 at UW-Stevens Point.