Gymnasts compete against DII opponents in Missouri

Bailey Johnston, Staff Writer

It was a successful weekend for the Warhawks gymnastics team while recording the highest team score of the season, 192.600, and taking third in the team’s meet in St. Charles, Missouri against two Division II teams, Lindenwood University (Missouri) and Texas Woman’s University.

“We were the only Division-III team there besides two other Division-II teams… we put up a really good fight considering we were the only Division-III team,” senior McKenzie Foster said.

Senior Katie Fiorelli has been struggling with an injury in her heel.

“Katie was gaining her confidence after her injury as well, and I think her doing well this season boosted her confidence level,” Foster said.

’Hawks senior Courtney Pickett hyperextended her knee a few weeks ago in practice, but didn’t let that stop her from finishing the meet and tying for ninth on beam with a score of 9.725 as well as a score of 9.800 on her floor exercise, her season high.

“She really holds us together and we know we can count on her for anything,” Foster said.

As the ’Hawks get closer towards the end of the season, the injuries are beginning to pile up.

“It’s that time of year when our bodies get worn out,” Foster said. “It’s a very long season for us… we are very smart about treatment and taking time off when we need it. We do what we can to save our bodies for the end of the season.”

Although UW-W took third, the team was the only D-III team competing and looked to improve on previous best scores.

The ‘Hawks beat the team’s highest score on uneven parallel bars, with a score of 48.675. Every gymnast on the ’Hawks side ended up scoring a 9.675 or higher. The top scorer, sophomore Lisa O’Donnell, tied for second with a
score of 9.775.

On vault, UW-W finished with a score of 47.85. Junior Chloe Rehberg finished strong with a score of 9.700, good for sixth, while Fiorilli scored a 9.675 tying her
for seventh.

While Pickett led the team on her floor exercise, O’Donnell tied for seventh with a score of 9.750. Junior Katie Mierow came in close behind, placing tenth scoring
a 9.700.

Senior Mackenzie Smith decided to step things up on beam by getting sixth with a score of 9.775. Foster came in close behind tying for seventh place scoring 9.750. O’Donnell tied for 13th and Hutton finished with a score of 8.825.

“I feel that the nerves can really get to them [the team] sometimes, and that’s when we lose our confidence during meets,” Foster said.

Head coach Jennifer Regan was unavailable to talk before press time for the story.

The ’Hawks hope to push the gained confidence into the last regular season meet at 4 p.m. on March 11 against Hamline University (Minnesota) at home for
Senior Day.