• April 7The man who was spotted with a gun near Whitewater Middle School has been taken into custody without incident, according to the Whitewater Police Department.

Standoff comes to end in Whitewater neighborhood

photo by Sarah Winkelman

photo by Sarah Winkelman

photo by Sarah Winkelman

Ashley McCallum and Nathan Kober

Whitewater resident Daniel S. Erdman has been taken into custody without incident after being spotted with a gun in his waistband near Whitewater Middle School, the Whitewater Police Department released in a press release.

Edman was taken by police from 1033 West Walworth Ave. after refusing to leave the house for hours, resulting in a standoff between the man and police. Nobody else was in the house at the time.

“We are very thankful to the S.W.A.T. team, the teamwork, the schools, this is what we trained for, and this is an exceptional response on behalf of the school district, the parents, in communication and working with us and us trying to keep everyone and bring it to a very safe resolution,” Whitewater Chief of Police Lisa Otterbacher. “This is exactly what we wanted. We are thankful for that.”

It has been confirmed that the man in custody is not connect to the Rock County firearms burglary investigation.

The Whitewater Police Department responded to the area around Whitewater Middle School around 1:50 p.m. Friday afternoon. All Whitewater Unified School District school were on lockdown and students from Whitewater High School, Whitewater Middle School and Lincoln Elementary School were moved to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Young Auditorium.

Words can’t express to know that you can’t get ahold of your son, you can’t pick him up, and they can’t contact you,” Danielle Wiedenhoeft, mother of a Whitewater Middle School student said. “They had to leave their backpacks and everything. It was awful.”

photos by Joe Kubicki