Coppage rewrites UW-W record books

Strive for excellence.

Coppage

It’s a term one hears in the classroom, workplace or on the football field. While many may strive to be excellent in whatever they do, very few achieve excellence and nobody achieves perfection.

For senior running back Levell Coppage, excellence is something that he has not only  strived for during his career at UW-Whitewater, but achieved.

On a crisp Saturday afternoon at Perkins Stadium, Coppage broke the school record and WIAC record for career rushing yards in a 31-16 win over UW-Stevens Point.

Coppage broke former Gagliardi Trophy winner Justin Beaver’s record of 6,584 career rushing yards, entrenching him in Warhawk football history.

Entering the game, Coppage needed just 54 yards to surpass Beaver. With 9:16 left in the first quarter, Coppage broke off a run that not only vindicated him as one of the greatest ever to wear purple and white, but also placed him as the third all-time rusher in NCAA Division-III history.

When all was said and done, Coppage had 245 yards on 29 carries and three scores.

While Coppage was aware of the record coming in, his were sights set on gaining much more than 54 yards.

“Coming into this game, everybody’s just telling me ‘54 yards, 54 yards,’” Coppage said. “It was all I was hearing for the last couple days. In my head I was just thinking ‘why 54? Why just get 54?’ We’re just playing another game.”

Coppage’s hunger for more than excellence was just what the ’Hawks needed in a close battle with the Pointers. While Coppage’s talent is undeniable, he is quick to point to his offensive linemen, past and present, when reflecting on his record-breaking career.

“Coming in as a freshman starting, I got taken in under the wing of the offensive linemen,” Coppage said. “They were a great team and I was looking back this week on our All-American wall and the guys that were blocking for me … there were about three guys on the line who were All-Americans that just kept going and going.”

Fittingly, Saturday was also the Homecoming and Hall of Fame game. As Whitewater alumni and students witnessed history, some may have failed to realize Coppage would someday be honored on a Saturday just like that one.

After his record-breaking run, a buzz resonated throughout Perkins Stadium and soon it was announced that Coppage had become the most prolific back in Warhawk history.

“Levell’s a special back at this level and he’s had an outstanding run so far and we’re going to continue to need his production as we continue on here these last couple games of the regular season,” head coach Lance Leipold said. “He’s been very durable and as you can see in games like this, he kind of cranks it up a notch with his competitiveness.”

Logan Allemand, a two-year starter at offensive tackle, has paved the way for Coppage this season and last. Although the record has Coppage’s name on it, Allemand acknowledges that those who have blocked for Coppage take pride in what the star back has accomplished.

“We take a lot of pride in [the record] and all the guys who have blocked for Levell [in the past] take a lot of pride in that because we are a part of what helped him succeed [in] his goal,” Allemand said.

While Leipold is aware of Coppage’s rare talent, he also knows that this record is a symbol of the depth and success of the ’Hawks as a whole.

“I told the team after the game that I hope everyone that’s ever been a part of [the record] in any fashion, whether it be an offensive lineman, a receiver who’s blocked or made a reception that creates the balance within our offense, the defense for making stops to get him the ball enough to get those carries, or a scout team player that helps in preparation … all those things are important and hopefully everyone has a chance to enjoy that,” Leipold said.

With the record in hand, Coppage knows that the team still has a long way to go in its quest for a third consecutive national championship.

“We [the seniors] all want to be great, we don’t want to be that class that doesn’t make it,” Coppage said. “So we’re going to do what we got to do.”

Coppage’s 245-yard rushing performance was his sixth career 200-yard game. While Coppage is now the Whitewater career rushing yards leader with 6,776 yards, he also is the school record holder in touchdowns (96) and most rushing yards in a game (386 vs. UW-Eau Claire).

When Coppage arrived on campus, he heard the lore of former legends that played his position, such as Chad Wurth and Justin Beaver, but by striving for excellence, he is now considered in the same class.

“It’s definitely hit home for me,” Coppage said. “I’ve thought that way my whole life. Coming from high school, our coaches always asked us ‘how do you want to be remembered?’ I used to sit on the bench [in basketball] my junior year and [my coach] said ‘once you get in there don’t be that guy who is going to screw up, be that guy who is going to step up and make the team better.’ I do whatever I can to make my team better. I’ll be the best water boy if you want me to be. It doesn’t really matter as long as I’m contributing and making [the team] better.”

While he won’t be serving as a water boy anytime soon, he will be making his team better. With excellence achieved, there is only one more destination for Levell Coppage: perfection.