UW-Whitewater offers smartphone APP

Since Oct. 29, the Whitewater Information Network for Students, commonly known as WINS, mobile App has been available for students with smartphone capabilities.

WINS is a program allowing students and staff to access academic courses and for students to manage financial information.

The Instructional, Communication & Information Technology department at UW-Whitewater has been working to improve this application, also known as a program which runs inside another service, as the technology becomes more popular.

Vangipuram

Anand Vangipuram, iCIT applications development manager, said the way the current industry is headed, the need for more mobile applications has been a priority of iCIT.

“We are not trying to replicate everything in the WINS website, but provide the services that are capable for a handheld device that students want to know right away,” Vangipuram said.

This application is not something that must be downloaded from an App Store. Instead, it can be reached by going to the UW-Whitewater website on a smartphone web browser, where there will be mobile-friendly options to access different features on WINS.

Sophomore Wesley Vance, who does not own a smartphone, said he understands the importance of technology and its role on our campus.

Burnside

“Before my advising session, I would have loved to have the option of quickly checking if a managerial accounting class was offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays,” Vance said.  “With all the advantages of a smartphone, I will have to get one soon.”

According to Vangipuram, the mobile WINS App offers useful content for UW-Whitewater students.

It provides a course catalog with information about specific courses like amount of credits, requirements and a course description.  Students can select the term they are interested in and view the teacher, times offered and if the course is open or closed.

Sophomore Vontae Burnside, an iPhone owner, said he enjoys seeing the university explore the different options in technology.

“Everyone is always on their phone,” Burnside said. “It’s great that Whitewater realizes what students want, and this application will definitely make registration for classes next semester easier.”

Jamey Chapin, the iCIT communication specialist, said the convenience of the mobile application will give students another way to stay up-to-date on the availability of their desired courses.

“It is a quick and easy way to view the course information if a student is on the go and does not have an immediate access to a computer,” Chapin said.

The course catalog abilities are just the first step in the mobile app process.  iCIT plans to implement future functions that include checking grades, searching and registering for classes.