New program will provide discounts at local businesses

A new Student Savers Club Program will soon be offered to UW-Whitewater students thanks to the collaboration of Whitewater Student Government and  Collegiate Services Inc.

A contract with CSI, which was approved by WSG on Nov. 26 after presenting the idea at the Nov. 12 WSG meeting, will provide students a local savings program.

According to the contract, CSI will secure student discounts from no less than 25 local businesses and will include online and national retail discounts and promotions. CSI will manage all relationships with participating businesses for the savers club, according to the contract.

The contract states WSG will provide a list of local businesses to CSI that they desire to receive discounts for.

Holthaus

Junior Jordan Holthaus, speaker of the WSG Senate, said he was excited the contract was approved.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for students to save money at Whitewater, Janesville and other surrounding area businesses,” Holthaus said.  “Looking at the research, it seems every business offers a discount of 10 percent or higher, which is great for students.”

CSI representative Pat Moriaty said the program is comprised of discounts from local, national and internet businesses.

“Our [CSI’s] intent has always been to save students money,” Moriaty said.

WSG President John Jensen said this would be a great service for students.

“One of the biggest problems with college students is that we love to save money, but we like to spend money, too,” Jensen said.  “Any opportunity we have to save a little bit of money is one that, I think, we should take advantage of.”

The contract states that students can utilize discounts by showing a school ID, presenting a printable coupon, entering an online discount code or as cash back on a registered debit/credit card purchase.

Moriaty said the program has been “re-tooled” since CSI has worked with UW-Whitewater in 1994.

Jensen

Jensen said the cost associated with the contract is $1,500 and will be covered by money from the “Student/Faculty Account,” which does not come from Segregated Univeristy Fees funding.

Jensen said the program will initiate next semester. All information regarding discounts and the Student Savers Club can be found at www.studentsavingsclub.com.