New Name, New Face, New Style

Royal Purple Spotlight section gets new name:

“Imaginative, creative, and nonscientific branches of knowledge considered collectively.”

That is the definition of the arts.

“Activity done for enjoyment when one is not working.”

That is the definition of recreation.

Both are integral parts of UW-Whitewater’s campus and both are what this section is all about.

I assume many of you have noticed a significant change to this section of the Royal Purple. The section formally known as “Spotlight” is now titled “Arts & Rec”.

To some, this change may not have any effect, and I’m sure others may prefer the old title. However, as a staff we felt it was important to change the name to better reflect the articles, issues, stories, previews and reviews featured.

There are seven areas this section will look to cover: art, theater, comedy, music, movies, books, and video games. All of these have their own unique culture and “collectively” all of them combine to form the arts and recreation we have on this campus.

Some of these areas may be more important to you than others, but I’m sure almost every single student at UW-Whitewater is interested in at least one.

In my opinion, “Spotlight” always seems to get a bad rap. I’ve been writing for the section on and off now for three semesters, and have been disappointed with the reactions of many students to this part of the paper.

I was the news editor for the past semester, and it’s obvious “News” and “Sports” will always dominate popular interest. That isn’t some new fad, it’s just how it always will be, and it’s true for almost any newspaper.

But our campus’s arts and entertainment should be represented just as loyally.

This section has undergone many changes and this is the fourth new title in six years.

It used to be known as “Arts & Lifestyle” until the spring of 2008 when it was then known as “Arts & Entertainment,” for one year. In fall of 2008, it was then switched to “Spotlight,” and that has been the current title until now.

While I believe it’s important to shine a “spotlight” on students, I also think that’s just part of the bigger picture.

I want to celebrate the students who are involved in the arts while also focusing on the entertainment and recreation activities we have in the year 2013.

With the support of Editor-in-Chief Andrea Behling, and the rest of the Royal Purple staff, I’d like to welcome you to check out our “Arts & Rec” section. It’s an important component of our university and a section I look forward to running.