Free Play Bingo in Hamilton Room

By Abrielle Backhaus

Each semester, students are invited to test their luck and win prize rewards for free with SEAL Bingo.

Dylan Kersten, SEAL entertainment intern, said SEAL always aims to generate low-price activities for a high amount of fun.

Kersten
Kersten

“It’s just all through our budget,” Kersten said. “You know how for the movies there’s that dollar charge? That’s part of our income, so that way we can help maintain these events and keep them free for students.”

Like many games, bingo is most often played to win prizes.

Keeping in mind that people have interests specific to them, Kersten said prizes are chosen so almost anyone can be excited about winning.

Sophomore Michelle Carlson recently transferred to UW-Whitewater and said food-oriented prizes would draw her in to play bingo.

“Personally I’m very food-motivated,” Carlson said. “Or even if they did coupons like a Toppers coupon or something like that, that would make a good prize.”

A few of the prizes for bingo include: a fishing pole, a nook, a video recorder and a variety of Warhawk is gear.

With promotions, the participation goal is set at 475 students, but the numbers have dropped recently, Kersten said. He also said the turn out is usually a good number where there’s not too many people but not too few either.

Freshman Jordan Gittens said he wasn’t aware of SEAL’s bingo night but is interested nonetheless.

“This is, I think, the first time I’m hearing about it,” Gittens said. “I think I would like to see it advertised more, but I would definitely go with a group of friends.”

The Hamilton Room has to be arranged to accommodate all the students and friends for bingo nights.

Kersten said he and a group of SEAL members take a few hours out of their day to arrange the bingo hall for playing.

“We have to set up the day of bingo,” Kersten said. “Where me and the SEAL team that’s working are going through the Hamilton Room setting up the different tables, getting the cards set and the candies ready because we use candies for chips.”

Bingo will be held at 8 p.m. Feb. 6, in the UC Hamilton Room.