IMPACT drag show returns to campus after success last year

Last year’s host Jarica Jordan will return to host this year’s Mardi Gras themed Drag Show. The show is at 9 p.m. Thursday in the University Center’s Hamilton Room.

Last year’s smash hit student event, the IMPACT Drag Show, returns to UW-Whitewater at 9 p.m. Thursday.

The Mardi Gras themed show, featuring both UW-Whitewater students and professional drag queens and kings, will raise money for the IMPACT lesbian, gay, transsexual, and straight ally student union.

IMPACT President Keith Wartzenluft, a junior, said he hopes the event will bring together students and community members to experience a diverse and entertaining show.

“Many of our performers have been preparing for this show for over a year now,” Wartzenluft said.

Hosted by a joke-cracking emcee, Jarica Jordan, the show will feature performances including dancing, lip-synching and comedy routines.

Wartzenluft is excited about whose involved in the event.

“Jordan, the hilarious host from last year, will be returning again as this year’s host,” he said. “A few other professionals from last year’s show will be returning as well. We are very excited to have our fellow UW-Whitewater student and amateur performer from last year’s show returning as well, Anna Rexia.”

Drag shows feature the art of gender impersonation.

According to Wartzenluft, drag kings and queens are “gender illusionists.”
Wartzenluft said those who want to attend the show should plan to arrive early due to the large crowd expected.

“In past years, the line of people waiting to get in has extended out the UC,” Wartzenluft said. “I encourage all guests to arrive early. The show starts at 9 so arrive at 8:30 or sooner. I expect it to be a sold out show. We didn’t expect the huge turn out we had last year. It has been the talk of the campus this semester, and I foresee it being an even bigger success.”

The idea for a drag show was born last year when IMPACT members were looking for a way to gain exposure for their organization.

Last year’s theme was “Queen of Hearts” and was organized by Wartzenluft. This year’s “Mardi Gras” show was organized by IMPACT’s treasurer, Jarred Harkness, along with a committee of IMPACT members.

Tickets can be purchased in the University Center for $5 prior to the show. They can also be purchased at the door for $7 or $5 with a non-perishable food item.

The proceeds from the show will help IMPACT bring similar events to the Whitewater community. All collected food items will be donated to a local food pantry.

With this positive cause, Wartzenluft said he hopes the UW-Whitewater students respond.

“I hope the whole campus and community comes out to have a fabulous time,” Wartzenluft said. “It is sure to be the event of the semester.”