UW-W student killed in car accident Wednesday

By Samantha Jacquest

March 6, 2014

A 19-year-old UW-Whitewater student was killed in a car accident on South 59 Highway near East Gould Road, according to a Rock County Sheriff’s press release.

Teagan Nolan, a freshman from Milton, was driving eastbound in a Chevrolet Lumina on South 59 when she lost control of her vehicle. As Nolan tried to steer away from a ditch, her car spun counterclockwise into the westbound lane. A Ford van traveling westbound hit Nolan’s passenger side, according to the report.

The Whitewater Police Department and Janesville Fire/EMA were dispatched to the scene at approximately 12:48 p.m. Nolan was pronounced dead at the scene.

The van was driven by a 56-year-old male from Whitewater and a 63-year-old male was in the passenger seat. The driver was transported by Flight for Life to Mercy Hospital and Trauma Center in Janesville and was in “serious condition” at the time the report was released. The passenger was transported by Whitewater EMS to Whitewater Mercy Hospital and Trauma Center, according to the report.

According to the report “Speed and road conditions appear to be a factor in the accident.” Nolan was not wearing a seat belt.

Nolan was a member of Alpha Sigma at UW-Whitewater.  Her name has been taken off the UW-Whitewater directory.

UW-W is holding a candlelight vigil at 7 p.m. on March 9 at the University Center south mall.

Check back to RoyalPurpleNews.com for more information when it becomes available.