Student improves video game industry in Midwest

March 19, 2014

By Michael Riley

Keith Fuller was the 2013 keynote speaker at the Wisconsin Game Developers Summit at UW-Milwaukee.
Keith Fuller was the 2013 keynote speaker at the Wisconsin Game Developers Summit at UW-Milwaukee

Senior Travis Garski had one major concern on his mind that lead to an organized effort to bring together students from across the region.

Garski said he wanted to help people from all over the Midwest to have a better opportunity at getting into the industry.

His conerns led to the Midwest Game Developers Summit (MGDS), which focuses on local Midwest developers coming together to share their knowledge and experiences with professionals, peers and aspiring developers.

Currently, MGDS has launched a Kickstarter in an attempt to raise $8,000 to help fund the weekend.  With less than three weeks to go, it is more than half way to its goal.  People can donate anywhere from $1 to more than $250.

The more someone donates the more perks they will receive at the conference, ranging from VIP passes to MGDS swag.

Garski said he has spoken to potential sponsors in hopes to raise money for the event.

“We are optimistic that we will reach and exceed our Kickstarter goal,” Garski said.  “If the Kickstarter should fail, we’ll evaluate our options and decide how to best proceed forward with MGDS.”

Garski said game developers conferences are an incredible way to network and learn from professionals, but the majority of these were not close to Wisconsin, and the cost to attend was not possible for the average college student.

Last year, Garski helped organize the Wisconsin Game Developers Summit held at UW-Milwaukee, where 300 people attended with 40 speakers from different fields in the video gaming industry.

“The exposure our event gives students will help them learn industry standard practices, expand their network, significantly increase job opportunities and let them bump elbows with some name developers,” Garski said.

Although this helped many aspiring video game industry students in Wisconsin, there was a desire from the surrounding area.

Garski, along with the help of others, widened and re-branded the event to the entire Midwest.

Garksi said he described his work with MGDS as a rollercoaster.

“In a word, it has been stressful,” Garksi said. “When it comes time to actually hosting the event, though, it simply feels amazing.  Seeing all those aspiring and high-profile game developers gathering together because of what I helped accomplish is one of the most humbling feelings ever.  It drives me to make the next year’s event even bigger and better.”

Junior media arts & game development major (MAGD) Katherine Stull said the MAGD department has grown substantially since she came to UW-Whitewater last year.  Many people want to dive into the gaming industry and leave the university with as much experience as possible, Stull said.

“MGDS would give MAGD students a chance to practice their journalism skills by covering the convention, as well as gaining important leadership and industry tips that can apply to their future and also their work at Gamezombie.tv.,” Stull said.

Other gaming conventions were held in Chicago and Milwaukee where people can show their love for gaming, but not where students can share their skills and expand their knowledge.

Stull said the environment  allows MAGD students to grow.  Graduates have been hired at gaming companies like IGN and Joystiq. It is a chance to be involved in UW-W League of Legends Club, GAMED and GZ.

Freshman Alec Tranel pledged his own money to the MGDS Kickstarter.  He is a part of the entrepreneurship program called Launch Pad, where he met Garski and heard about the event.

“Through Launch Pad, I am able to start my own company and surround myself with many colleagues like Travis [Garski],” Tranel said.  “I was eager to be apart of MGDS in any way.  I donated $20 and shared this opportunity to through Facebook to all my friends.”