Closing a long chapter

May 7, 2014

By Samantha Jacquest

Saying goodbye to an organization I have been a part of for two and a half years is hard enough, but to have to say goodbye to a job I have loved and people I have grown to care for is nearly impossible, but I’ll give it a try.

I started at the Royal Purple my sophomore year. The first story I submitted was so bad that I asked my editor to take away my byline because it was edited so heavily. Now here I am over two years later, finishing my college career as Editor in Chief. Although I was only at this position for one semester, I feel like this newspaper is my baby, and it’s hard to let it go. Every staff member, every headache, every proud moment and every stressful Monday night will stick with me forever.

Michael: I am so excited for everything you will accomplish next year. I have watched you grow from being my assistant to a distinguished leader on the RP team. Just remember to relax every now and then, and take every mistake with a light heart. Things will get messed up, you’ll get angry, but just be your caring self and you will lead the RP into a great future.

Josh: I can’t thank you enough for stepping up to a leadership role. You have proven yourself to be one of the most dedicated staff members, never complaining when you had to stay in the office until 1 a.m., and always happy to edit a story for the sixth time. I’m confident you will step into your new role with ease.

Alex: One of the most opinionated students to ever walk into the RP office. I feel bad for your new management team, they don’t know what they are getting into. But it’s that personality that will help you achieve whatever you want in life. I can’t wait to visit the office in a year or two and see you running things.

Rumasa: I know you’ve had some tough times with not having staff writers and pushing yourself to learn on the spot, but you always took the challenges with an open mind, which allowed you to grow and expand your skills. Not many people would have stuck around with some of those challenges, so thank you for always being optimistic and sticking with us.

Lucas: I’m going to miss your humor and personality. Whenever there was hostility or a quiet moment, you were always there to brighten everyone’s mood. You have grown into your role as Opinion Editor and you never let me down. I can’t wait to see how your future unfolds, whether it’s as a journalist or insurance salesman.

Jacqueline: I’m glad you decided to take a chance on the RP. It did nothing for the subjects you’re studying, and I know it eventually became hard to keep up with your schedule, but your dedication never waivered. I hope you continue to bring your talents to the RP in some way, because you have a beautiful personality that doesn’t always come around.

Abrielle: Never have I met someone with so much optimism. You never seemed to let anything bring you down; even when a story didn’t come in or your computer shut down, your reaction was always “Oh well, let’s move on and do what we can.” I can’t wait to watch you expand your skills and shine at the RP in the years to come.

Kevin: When you first came to staff, you were the quiet guy in the corner. I honestly never thought I would hold a full conversation with you. Ever. But you quickly turned into one of the funniest, most kind-hearted people I have ever met. You will do great things (if you ever start applying for jobs).

Andrea: The complete opposite of Kevin, I never thought I would be able to get you to stop distracting everyone! You have brought a unique personality to the office and no one will ever have better stories to keep the office entertained. Be sure to keep your life interesting next year so there’s always something to talk about.

Chris: Your dedication to the RP has saved us from many embarrassing mistakes, and yet you’re never too proud to admit when something slipped passed you; that’s a rare combination in a copy editor. I’ll miss our heated football debates, which usually ended with me saying, “I really don’t care that much,” but you were ready to fight to the death! But one thing we can agree on: Go Blackhawks!

Amanda: You made me proud this semester. You always listened to feedback and used it to improve your photography and leadership skills. You were just plain fun to be around, and I’ll miss your bubbly personality.

Alyssa: You have been so much fun to hang out with, and your talent continued to amaze me every week. I hope the RP was able to contribute to your skills in some way, even if it was just by helping you to handle stress, because I know we put you through a lot!

Ben: Oh, how far we have come. Starting from me being your assistant and fighting every other week, to you being my assistant and fighting just a little bit less. I’m glad we developed a friendship out of all our crazy moments, and I wish all the best for you as you finish up your college career. Well, if you ever finish your college career!

Hayley: I remember when you were my dedicated staff writer, and you quickly turned into someone I rely heavily on. I am so proud of how fast you have taken on a leadership role, and you have no idea how much weight it takes off my shoulders knowing I don’t have to worry about the ad side after I leave. I’m beaming with pride knowing I had a hand in getting you started at the RP

Jake: You literally may have saved my life this semester. I don’t know what I would have done if I didn’t have someone as capable and reliable running the business side. I’m so happy I have gotten to know you better this semester, and I really hope we stay in touch. Good luck with everything ahead of you!

Carol: You have taught me so much in such a short time. I will never forget your professional and life lessons, as well as how much you genuinely cared for the RP and our staff. My mind is a little more at ease knowing the staff has such an experienced and kind adviser to support them.

Andie: I purposely left you for my last entry because I have no idea what to say, but here’s a try: when I first met you, I was so intimidated. I thought we would never get along, because there was no way I would be able to interact with you intellectually and personally. Over my two and a half years at the RP, that changed dramatically. I can’t even pin down the moment we became friends, but I’m so happy it happened. You have become my absolute best friend, and I am confident that we will remain close for years to come. I have learned so much from you, and you have been a part of some of my most memorable college experiences: from meeting celebrities together to being the only friend to visit me in the hospital. I have the RP to thank for our friendship, and that alone makes my time with the paper worth it.