Student org profits from creating, selling art

May 7, 2014

by Samantha Phillips

UW-Whitewater is home to many on-campus clubs that have diverse interests and attract a wide variety of students. Common clubs on campus are a way for students to connect with others who share the same hobby. One such club is the Printmakers Association Club.

The Printmakers Association Club, also called Print Farm, is comprised of students who are interested in developing and exploring the art of printmaking. Most of the members are working toward a degree in the art field, or minoring in art, but anybody is welcome to join.

Max White
Max White

The group was the brainchild of UW-W Art Professor Max White, who named the group “Print Farm.”

“[In] the spring of 2010, the name popped in my head,” White said. “I made a sketch of the Print Farm name on a tee shirt.”

White said she was sitting in a café in Madison experiencing a difficult moment until she though about the club’s possibilities.

“The fun name of the club and the thought of working together with students outside of class really lifted my spirits,” White said. “And thus, Print Farm was born.”

Print Farm President Hana Keller said the organization’s purpose is to educate and provide an outlet for anyone interested in learning about prints and creating prints.

Keller has been involved in the organization for two years. Keller’s interest in printmaking started at UW-Whitewater.

“I was first introduced to the club when I took the Intaglio Printmaking class with Professor White,” Keller said. “And now I’ve been the president for three semesters after our last president resigned.”

Keller describes her role as president as “mainly housekeeping.” She said she tries to keep everything organized for her and all the club members.

Keller also makes sure Print Farm has all the appropriate permissions and approvals to continue running. Part of her role as president is to maintain the group’s contacts and seeking out opportunities for volunteer work and educational opportunities.

Keller explains the art of printmaking isn’t well known by the general public like painting and ceramics may be.

“We provide outlets for the club members to expand their knowledge and promote their art,” Keller said. “Our goal is to keep the tradition strong on campus, as well as support the student’s artwork.”

Club meetings are at 6:30 p.m. every other Wednesday in the printmaking studio, located in the Greenhill Center of the Arts Room 35. The Wednesdays the group is not scheduled to meet are open studios for members to work on projects.

Print Farm’s final goal for the semester is to promote the print sale. The sale is a chance for group members and all interested students to sell their prints. The artists keep 80 percent of the profit while the other 20 percent goes to the Printmakers Association. These funds are used to provide tools and supplies to members and eliminate the need for a membership fee.

The sale is from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. May 6 to 8 in the CA atrium. Any interested students can join the club by contacting [email protected].