Make summer break count

May 7, 2014

Commentary by Jacqueline Schaefer, Lifestyle Editor

Who doesn’t love summer? Sunshine, warm air and many options for outside activites make summer the best time of year. Although it may sound appealing to waste your summer away lying outside watching Netflix, there are actually better ways to spend your time. Below are just a few.

Get a job 

As college students, we are spending lots of money paying for tuition, fees and other school-related things. A summer job is a great way to help make up the difference and have a little spending money during the school year. Contrary to popular belief, a summer job doesn’t have to be boring. Many summer camps hire college students to be counselors for the summer. This is a great way to make friends and learn a lot about yourself. Most cities also have pools or aquatic centers that hire lifeguards. Although this requires some specialized training and certification, imagine spending your summer days in the sun watching a pool or teaching swimming lessons to little kids. If you’re looking to make as much money as possible, try getting a factory job. These may not be as fun, but they will definitely pay more than a camp counselor position.

Find an internship 

In today’s job market, companies are putting more emphasis on hiring individuals with experience in their field. Spending a summer at an internship, even an unpaid one, can lead to making more money down the line. It is also possible to have a part-time internship and a part-time job. Just be careful not to spend too much time working, or at least try to balance it with some fun activities.

Get active 

Summer has the warmest weather of the year, so let’s take advantage of it. Some of the best ways to soak in the sun include water sports. Wisconsin has many lakes, rivers and streams, and more than enough ways to use them. Some of my personal favorites include swimming, tubing, river stomping, tanning on the beach and just simply wading in the water. Fishing and water surfing are fun as well. But there are more than just water sports. Grab some friends and play a game of baseball or kickball.

Take a day off and explore

Milwaukee is home to a great zoo, so go explore it. It may seem childish, but a day spent with friends enjoying warm weather and some animals is always a great time. Another fun option is a festival, such as Brat Days in Sheboygan or a county or state fair. Six Flags Great America is always great for a thrill and some yummy, unhealthy food. Spend a weekend exploring a new city, or take a road trip to Chicago. Where ever you go, just make sure to try something new, bring some great friends, and take pictures to ensure your memories will last forever. College doesn’t last long, so make sure you take advantage of the summer before you need a real job.