Free lunch program will continue through semester

The First United Methodist Church of Whitewater will continue its weekly free lunch program for students for the 24th semester.

Cooper

The free lunch runs from 10:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesdays. The first lunch of the semester will be Feb. 8.

The church serves an average of 350 students each week, University Ministries Coordinator Owen Cooper said.

“The most students we have served in a week was close to 500 a few years ago,” Cooper said. “Usually at the beginning of the semester close to 250 students attend the lunch. The numbers steadily increase during the semester.”

Funding for the program comes from donors within the church, donors in the Whitewater community, and from FUMC grants.

“Its completely free for students,” Cooper said. “There are no strings attached, there isn’t anything to lose by showing up.”

Members from the church community cook and serve the meals each week.

Cooper said the program is important because it helps mend the relationship between the city community and the campus community by bringing everyone together.

The church is located at 145 S. Prairie St.