Ask Alyssa: Whitewater fun without the drinking

April 15, 2015

By Alyssa Kirchen

[typography font=”Cantarell” size=”25″ size_format=”px”]Q: How can I have fun in Whitewater without heading to the bars? [/typography]

A: Being in college, it may seem like the only thing to do on the weekends to have fun is to go out drinking.

Whether you are under age or choose not to drink, it can be tough to find something else to do. There are so many things you can do with your friends without drinking, but it depends on what you enjoy doing.

Sometimes it’s as simple as watching a movie. There are multiple ways you can do this.

If you want to get out of the house, you can go to Cinemas of Whitewater to see a new movie. Tickets are $7, but if you go to a matinee it’s only $5.50.

If you’re tight on money, don’t worry, you can go see a SEAL movie on campus for only $1 with a student ID. The selected movie plays from Thursday to Saturday and changes every week.

When you don’t like the choices showing on campus, pop over to Wal-Mart or Sentry to get a Redbox rental of your choice for only $1. This way you can choose what you want to see and watch it in the comfort of your own living space.

Another form of entertainment is attending a sporting event. Spring season has started, so what better way to enjoy a day outside than watching some Warhawk sports?

The schedules for baseball games, softball games, tennis matches and track events are posted on the UW-W website under the events calendar. The best part about going to watch sports is that it’s free for UW-W students with a student ID.

If sports or movies aren’t really your thing, try a new restaurant in downtown Whitewater. Everyone loves food, so it’s something to do that everyone can enjoy.

My favorite place to eat is Second Salem Brewing Company on Whitewater Street. One of the best things on their menu is the giant soft pretzel. It’s so big that it can easily feed four people, so you can split it with a group of friends. Not only are their appetizers delicious, they have great soups, salad, burgers, fish fries, mac and cheese and much more to accommodate all different tastes.

If you’re still unsure where to eat, stop by Taste of Whitewater today in the University Center from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. for samples from a variety of local restaurants.

When you’re really bored of Whitewater and need to do a little shopping, heading to Janesville is a great option. You can go to Janesville Mall where they have a variety of different stores as well as many restaurants. Get a couple of your friends to carpool, or take the bus. The Janesville Transit system costs $4 for a one-way trip. If you need the bus schedule, you can find it on the UW-W website under administrative affairs.

There are so many different ways to entertain yourself without having to go to the bars or drink. If you look around online, you’re bound to find more and more things to do and have a great time.