Involvement Fair showcases 150 orgs

By Mitchell Wackett

Assistant News Editor

Tables and colored posters lined the Wyman Mall from Goodhue Hall to the University Center for this year’s Student Involvement Fair.  

The Career and Leadership Development event hosted around 150 organizations, each offering a unique opportunity to engage in the campus community and further the development of those students who answered the calls of members.

Sophomore Valerie Tomberlin set out along the mall looking to find an organization that allowed her to get “involved in something about her major.”

Already in a campus-affiliated sorority, Tomberlin expanded her interests by signing up for National Student Speech Language and Hearing Association.  

“My goal is accomplished,” she said.

The Student Involvement Office puts on the Fair each year with the hope of attracting freshmen and new transfer students; however, all are encouraged to find an organization that supports their passion or discover something new to try.  

Samantha Pick, intern for Student Involvement and in charge of the Involvement Fair, says the Fair “is a way for all students to learn about the variety of different options available whether it be athletics, academics, community service, etc.”  

Sophomore Katie Whittaker found the fair as an opportunity to rediscover volleyball again when she stopped by the Intramural Sports tent.  

“I used to play in middle school,” Whittaker said. “I just want to get back into it.”  

This is one of the reasons the Fair comes back each year, to provide the opportunity for new activities and the chance to rekindle those of the past.  

A point of encouragement added to the Fair this year with the implementation of a “contest” featuring a tie-dye workshop.  

“Students were given a sheet of paper and had to walk around the fair and speak with five organizations they were interested in,” Pick said.  “Once they had all five slots signed, they were given a free connectUWW white T-shirt.”  

The students were then given the option of preserving the condition of their T-shirt, or alter it with the rainbow at the tie-dye workshop held by Roberta’s Art Gallery.  

“From the time that I walked around the Fair, I felt that students were really enjoying themselves,” Pick said.  “Students were excited to find organizations that were going to help them to grow and be successful personally and professionally.”