New software added to Hyland Hall

A new classroom management software, LanSchool, installed in Hyland Hall allows for a greater classroom experience.

LanSchool has features which allow instructors to push and collect files from students’ computers, run particular applications and broadcast messages to students via computer.

Instructors can also utilize the software by limiting applications and web access, monitoring student computer activity and assisting students with classroom material.

The university budget paid for the software at $370 per lab, Clements said. Student tuition is not affected by the new program.

“When computers are available, students like to get distracted with shopping online and playing games,” College of Business and Economics Dean Chris Clements said. “The software can solve this by disabling Internet access or only allowing access to specific websites.”

LanSchool allows instructors to project a student’s screen on all the other screens in the classroom. This feature could be used, for example, to show how a particular student solved a problem, Clements said.

The software also works in the opposite way by pushing an instructor’s screen to all student computers.

Although LanSchool can monitor student activity on their desktops, that is not the intended use of the software, Clements said.

Junior finance major Matthew Abraham said monitoring student activity by disabling Internet access or restricting certain websites is unnecessary.

“We’re at a level of schooling in which students can make their own decisions,” Abraham said. “The ability to retain knowledge varies in each individual and some students are able to multitask.”