Monthly e-magazine focuses on issues of college students

The University Health and Counseling Services has expanded the topics available in its e-magazine, Student Health 101. The most recent edition will feature information on dieting, sleep, alcohol consumption, depression, illnesses and being active.

“The website is mainly for students, but I think it can be utilized by staff, faculty and parents who are a part of campus,” said Eric Mueller, UCHS wellness coordinator. “It is generally a health and wellness e-magazine that focuses on college health.”

Student Health 101 is a syndicated e-magazine used by many colleges and universities, including UW-Stout.  The website includes more college-related health issues than any other magazine, according to Mueller.

“The magazine really focuses in on issues college-aged students have,” Mueller said. “Right now the major health problems students are facing are the cold, flu and contagious diseases, along with the preventative sexual health issues. Students can find most, if not all, of this information on the Student Health 101 website.”

UW-Whitewater started using Student Health 101 in fall of 2009, and it has flourished ever since.

Students can register on the website and receive updates each month on relevant topics such as finals guides, how to winterize your skin, and how to create a good sleep environment.

“Every month we do a ‘Counselor’s Corner,’ which focuses on rest and relaxation, and how to relieve stress,” Mueller said.

Student Health 101 urges students to read and comment on articles as well as registering to follow each issue of the e-magazine.

“The articles and stories in Student Health 101 are written by a group of physicians and editors from student health,” Mueller said. “We try hard to get the e-magazine out there as a lot of students have not heard of it.”

Mueller also said UHCS has been trying to utilize Facebook more this year to promote Student Health 101 and other programs offered.

A UW-Whitewater Student Health 101 study showed 74 percent of readers learned from articles published in the e-magazine in the December 2010 issue.

“[Student Health 101] is really a good learning tool for students because it encourages students to listen, watch and read material through an e-magazine,” Mueller said.

UHCS’s main goal with Student Health 101 is to increase followings and readers, and to make students more aware of their resources.

For more information on Student Health 101, visit www.readsh101.com/uww.html, or “like” UW-Whitewater Student Health 101 on Facebook.