Post-grad programs plans change

By Emily Lepkowski

UW-Whitewater’s Communication programs are not only growing, but perhaps preparing students to excel in the workplace. Students continuing into post-graduate education work with previously learned skills and concepts to perfect them in time for their desired careers.   

Specialized education

The Master’s of Science Degree in Communication gives students something graduates don’t have: a boost on applications and a boost on a resume. 

“It says to an employer that you are a superior researcher and it says you are a superior writer,” Dr. Corey B. Davis, graduate program coordinator, said. “And you have a wide range of theoretical and applied knowledge you can put to work solving problems.” 

Students have the option to focus on corporate communication or mass communication. The 30-credit program consists of required coursework and elective coursework as well as one of several capstone experiences.      

“We’re always looking for a way that we can apply these theories to understand real world issues,” Davis said. “Whether it’s how to promote your client better through social media applications, or position yourself better in the market place.”   

The overall graduate program highlights critical skills such as researching that help students get ahead in the workplace. 

The graduate program in communication is looking to redesign the program similar to the Master’s degree to encompass a better focus on classroom skills and real world situations. 

The Master’s of Science Degree in Communication offers a range of careers for students in the graduate program. 

Students’ careers range from corporate training and development all the way to television production.   

Assistant professor Christina Jones teaches Communication 701, Introduction to Communication Studies, which is the first class students are required to take.    

”The B.A is a general degree. You build up skills and talents across a wide area of communication, but within grad, you get it specialized into one particular area for you,”Jones said.

Jones says students have the ability to connect their individual or professional experiences to the broad theoretical concepts discussed in the program.

“What I like most is it allows you to take some very general concepts you went about in the b.a and think specifically about areas of interest for you,” Jones said. “Whether that be something professional or whether you’re preparing to go onto further graduate studies,” Jones said.

Jones is currently in her third year of teaching at UW-Whitewater.   

“Usually when you reach students who are going for their graduate in communication, you don’t have to sway them on why it’s important or what it will do for you,” Jones said.

“Students at that level really get it and they understand the purpose of the degree.”

Redesigning the program

Faculty in the Department of Communication are looking to redesign the graduate program to give students a “more exclusive graduate experience.” 

While the remodeling of the program is still in very early stages, there are some aspects of the program that are specified.

The program will remain heavily rooted in research and theories. Davis says the difference is that research methods will have a more applied approach on real world scenarios.

“Something that is very exciting is that we know that this program is going to be comprised of something we call stackable certificates,” Davis said.

Stackable Certificates let students complete certificates as they work  through the 30 credit program.

The idea is that students will keep coming back to earn the certificates and before they know it, they are one credit away from a Master’s Degree.

Stackable Certificates also benefit students who are hesitant to commit to a program or are unsure if they have the financial means to complete a whole Master’s program.

“This can be a very attractive option,” Davis said.

With a larger array of electives and certificates, students can make up their own degree.

Emphasis can be created based on the coursework students choose. This way, students tailor their learning to complement what they want to do with their career.    

Despite a lot of uncertainties, Davis said he hopes the program redesign will be finished by Sept. 2018.