Greeks host alcohol awareness event to alert students of harmful effects

An alcohol and other drugs awareness program was held March 16 in the Hamilton Room in the University Center.

This biyearly event was sponsored by the Panhellenic Council, National Panhellenic Council, Interfraternity Council, the alcohol and drug educator on campus and university police. 

An estimated 400 students attended the program.

“We wanted to hold it right before spring break and St. Patrick’s Day so students can be aware of the effects of alcohol to their body and general knowledge of alcohol and drugs,” Panhellenic Council Educator Rachel Hansen said.

During the event there were 12 booths containing different information on topics such as how alcohol affects the body, calorie equivalents, healthy alternatives to drinking, and good decisions to make while drinking.

One booth consisted of an interactive beer goggles demonstration, another included a root beer flip cup game and a third booth showed what size a standard drink actually is.

“[The students will] pour their standard drink of what they think is a standard drink and we tell them, based on what alcoholic drink they picked, how much a standard drink actually is,”  Interfraternity Council Education Chair Zak Helmeid said about the booth.

Mary Kilar spoke at the event.  Her son, Treyton Kilar, was killed by a drunk driver last September.

“Personal stories can make an impact,” campus alcohol and drug educator Megan Knudson said.

“This is [Mary Kilar’s] second time speaking about her son who died from a man who was intoxicated while driving, so maybe that will convince people not to drink and drive,” Helmeid said.

Students were also given the chance to donate to the Treyton Kilar Field of Dreams and to sign a pledge card stating they will not drink or text while driving.

This event was mainly sponsored by the Greek community and was open to the public.

“We want to improve [the Greek community] and we have made it obvious that our goal is to bash the stereotype of Greeks, and we want the university to know that,” Helmeid said.  “We’re not doing this because we want to look good.  We want students to be aware of alcohol and other drugs.”

“We’re trying to get it through students’ heads that they need to be more responsible [with alcohol] even if they are 21,” Hansen said.