Looking through the Glassdoor

Job search website offers low cost promotion to help employee quests

Looking through the Glassdoor

Brad Allen, Biz & Tech Editor

An online job-hunting service is offering a greatly reduced cost promotion to assist all local businesses in hiring advertising efforts. This gives both students and potential employers a new avenue to learn more about one another.
Glassdoor is a user-generated company where both employers and employees can post job reviews and basic business information. Glassdoor has 11 million content pieces from more than 4,000 companies, says Glassdoor University Partnership Manager Sydney Frazer.
Glassdoor is offering Whitewater businesses a reduced-rate advertising promotion for finding new employees until Oct. 31. The rate is reduced from $99 to $1. To receive the promotional code, business owners should visit www.Glassdoor.com/postjob and enter their location.
“Glassdoor isn’t well known in small cities,” Frazer said. “We’re trying to establish our credibility.”
Frazer said Whitewater and 30 other metros were chosen for the promotion because of their strong community and business ideals.
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater professor of Management and Management Department Chairman Jon Werner said sites like Glassdoor are valuable for younger applicants, since word of mouth can be helpful.
“But it’s somewhat controversial, since one employee’s bad review can potentially ruin things,” Werner said. “It can be hard to get a picture of what it’s really like to work for certain companies.”
There are many networking sites beneficial to both students seeking jobs and employers searching to hire recent graduates. In addition to Glassdoor, these sites include Monster, Milwaukee Jobs, Indeed, Reference USA and Going Global.
“The key thing is to go for information, but not to take only one review as fact,” Werner said.
Associate professor of Management Kelly Delaney-Klinger said Glassdoor has spawned a push for employers to pay attention to what employees think and make their human resources stronger.
But there are some concerns associated with self-service job search websites such as Glassdoor.
Delaney-Klinger said one disadvantage to Glassdoor is that companies can potentially plant false reviews anonymously. Another concern is that due to anonymity, there may be a potential to get a higher number of extreme opinions.
Career & Leadership Development (CLD) Director Ron Buchholz said online job search services are useful, but do not offer valuable one-on-one assistance.
“We help students figure out what they want to do,” Buchholz said. “Nothing is going to beat having a career coach.”
CLD has connections with 8,000 employers, according to Buchholz.
The CLD website once offered a variety of online job search resources for students to use, but these resources have since been removed because “we had been quickly redirecting students off our site, and we lost our voice,” Buchholz said.
Buchholz said Glassdoor is better than most online job search services.
“Lots of services want to put you on their site,” Buchholz said. “Everybody’s got a ‘magic bullet’ out there, but nobody has the ‘magic bullet.’ No site will be the ‘answer-all.’”

About the Writer
Brad Allen, Assistant Copy Editor

Email: [email protected]

Connect: Twitter, LinkedIn