Vacant no more

Plan to move units to Sentry Foods building met with mixed enthusiasm

Vacant no more

The building once home to Sentry Foods has been bought by UW-Whitewater and will be converted into a Community Outreach Center and Children’s Learning Center.

photo by Kimberly Gilliland / Photo Editor

Brad Allen, Biz & Tech Editor

What was once a grocery store is soon to be a Community Outreach Center owned and operated by University of Wisconsin-Whitewater administration, which opened discussions to relocate one, or several, on-campus units into the old Sentry Foods building.
The University purchased the building, but figures for how much the project will cost were not immediately available to The Royal Purple.
“The next step is to identify the space needs of different groups,” Dean of the College of Business and Economics (COBE) John Chenoweth said. “I suspect there will be more conversations.”
The Royal Purple made multiple attempts to reach Vice Chancellor of Administrative Affairs Jeff Arnold, who was not able to comment at press time. Provost Susan Elrod declined to comment on the Community Outreach Center.
“We have enough space and units that can be moved, but the decision at the end of the day will be which ones,” Chenoweth said.
COBE has six outreach centers located on-campus, two of which are registered with the Small Business Administration (SBA). All outreach centers are eligible to move into the former Sentry building, but a final decision has not been made yet.
“We want to put units out there that closely serve the businesses in the region,” Chenoweth said. “We want to give them more access to those services, and more visibility in the community.”
Chenoweth said student employment opportunities could increase if outreach centers relocate and grow off-campus.
The Children’s Learning Center, located in Roseman Hall, may move into the old Sentry Foods building at 1260 W. Main St. said Erica Schepp, Director of the Children’s Learning Center.
There are concerns when it comes to moving the Children’s Learning Center Schepp said the move would make it harder for the children’s families to come visit them during the day.
“The uniqueness of where we’re located in the center of campus has always been a strength of the Children’s Learning Center,” Schepp said.
Another big concern, Schepp said, is the convenience of student staff who volunteer at the Children’s Learning Center.
Schepp said the move would also undermine the ability to utilize campus resources to enhance the children’s learning experiences, including walks around campus, animal display visitations in Upham Hall, exercise at the William’s Center and the close proximity to Starin Park and Fairhaven, which is a partnership of intergenerational programming.
But some advantages come with moving off-campus.
Schepp said the Roseman building has space limitations to expanding or redesigning parts of the program.
“We have done a fantastic job with the facilities we have, but there are certain safety and security issues that could be better addressed in a new setting that was designed specifically to be a children’s center and a place for very young children,” Schepp said.
Moving would allow increased visibility and access to the Whitewater community, and create more parking space for families and staff members, Schepp said.

About the Writer
Brad Allen, Assistant Copy Editor

Email: allenbm30[email protected]

Connect: Twitter, LinkedIn