System regent seeks to find end to sexual violence

James A. Langnes III, UW-W Senior & UW System Regent

*Editors note:

Claims made have yet to be independently verified.

In the Nov. 30 edition of the Royal Purple, a letter to the editor was addressed to Chancellor Kopper in regards to the issue of sexual assaults on campus. At the beginning of the article it was stated that Chancellor Kopper has not spoken about the issue of sexual assaults on campus and that to knowledge has said or done nothing about it.

It was also said that some are concerned that the University is avoiding these discussions because it may shed a negative light on the University. These listed above statements and presumptions are counter-factual.

The Chancellor has spoken about sexual assault several times this semester alone. She has touched on the issue at the State of University, a welcoming email to employees and students at the beginning of the semester, and most recently as a WSG forum on sexual assault.

There are campus committees that meet regularly regarding this issue. There are programs put on by the University in regards to these issues such as, prevention and reporting trainings put on by University Police.

There are many examples that would disprove the assumption that the Chancellor has said or done nothing regarding this issue and I would be happy to further enlighten you about actions specifically taken at UW-W.

As far as the UW System, over the past two years the UW System Task Force on Sexual Violence and Harassment has been working hard to address this issue. President Cross, in a press release on Dec. 5, acknowledges this report and mentions the recommendation for sexual violence and harassment training for all UW employees and students.

The University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents will be meeting on December 8th, receiving a report, and voting on proposed updates to sexual harassment policies. The UW Board of Regents, UW System Administration, along with Chancellors at all of our UW campuses are committed to preventing sexual assaults and providing support and resources to those who are impacted by such acts.

What is written above comes from my point of view as an administrator. From an administrator point of view, the issue of sexual assault is something that personally shakes me.

I believe however that my point of view as a fellow student here on campus is what will be most impactful regarding this issue. My message is: It’s on us. Students are the ones who have the ability and opportunity to make the biggest, most effective, impact on the issue of sexual assault. Change does not come from one person, one administration; it comes from the people.

Us. Together. It is us who needs to speak out against and condemn sexual assault. It is us who needs to help make a positive difference.

It’s walking your friend home from the bars. It’s speaking out against something you see. It’s being someone who is there for others and willing to listen.

It will take you, me, us, and everyone working together to make a change for the better.