Las Vegas Shooting Kills 58 People

America is mourning after the deadliest mass shooting in the history of our nation.

An active shooter opened fire Sunday night at a country music festival in Las Vegas. At least fifty-eight people were killed, and the injury toll has risen to more than 515 following the incident.

The shooter, 64-year-old Stephen Paddock of nearby Mesquite, Nevada, sprayed bullets into the crowd from the 32nd floor of a nearby hotel, before killing himself as authorities stormed the building.

Nevada authorities said Paddock had no criminal record prior to the event.

Along with Paddock’s body, police found ten different rifles and ammunition which he used to shoot from the windows of the hotel room.

President Donald Trump referred to the incident as an “act of pure evil” before calling for the nation to stick together.

“In moments of tragedy and horror, America comes together as one, and it always has,” Trump said. “Our unity cannot be shattered by evil. Our bonds cannot be broken by violence. And though we feel such great anger at the senseless murder of our fellow citizens, it is our love that defines us today, and always will, forever,” he said.

Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman tweeted about the event Monday.

“The act and insanity of a madman shall not define us or keep us from living whole and meaningful lives with pride in our shared humanity. Our prayers for everyone and a huge thank you to our great law enforcement and first responders,” she tweeted to her followers.