Art exhibition final showcase for seniors

For Bachelor of Fine Arts majors, the BFA Exhibition is the culmination of their college art careers.

The exhibition will be held through Thursday, and is free for all to attend.

A variety of mediums will be exhibited at the show, including paintings, drawings, printmakings, sculpture, metals, ceramics and computer graphic designs.

Senior Sam Van Galder will have various pieces on display at the BFA Exhibition.

Van Galder, a BFA major with an emphasis on painting, said he is greatly anticipating this stage of his college career.

“This is a huge milestone,” Van Galder said.  “I’m excited, but there has been a lot of pressure.”

Van Galder is really looking forward to presenting one specific painting. The piece contains a number of small images that come together to make one large painting.

The unique exhibit has an emotional connection with the artists.

“There are all different styles of art,” Van Galder said. “It’s interesting to see what people do.”

Nicolle LaMere, a BFA major with an emphasis in ceramics, is also anticipating her final art exhibit as a college student.

“I’m really looking forward to people seeing my work,” LaMere said. “Especially my mother.”
LaMere mostly works with Terra-cotta clay.  She said she likes its special red color.

“One thing particular to me is I use paper,” LaMere said. “I start with a ceramic vessel and build off of it using paper.”

She prefers to expand from the typical ceramic genre. LaMere said it is difficult for her and other artists to describe to others what they make.

“I would say I like to expand contemporary and to push those boundaries,” LaMere said.

LaMere describes the BFA exhibit as “a coming of age story.”  This is where one transitions from student to artist.

LaMere discussed the process of how, from freshman to senior year, one becomes a BFA.

Leading up to the senior exhibit, a student looking to become a BFA must go through a rigorous process.

First they must pass their foundation courses, a portfolio show and a junior review, with the last piece of the puzzle being the BFA Exhibition.