A freshman looks ahead to a new year

Savannah Hernandez, Assistant News Editor

I always knew I was going to go to college one day, but now that that day is finally here, it feels a little surreal. Moving away to college always seemed like a destination on the horizon until it was right in front of my face.

Moving in is, of course, the one thing that I think is most stressful for new students. We are all still young, still finding our way in the world, but in the span of a few days suddenly we are living on our own and going to new classes in new places. I think some students adjust very quickly, while others take time to stop feeling nervous and lost.

I think the best thing about college is being able to finally follow your own path and develop your voice to the fullest. Of course, General Education classes still need to be taken, but those classes specifically designed for your Major or your Minor are what I have been waiting for since I started high school. College is a time to explore those classes and discover what you really want to do.

The other best part will be making friends, even though I know that sounds cheesy. I think the main thing that all of us need to remember is that we’re all scared and excited to be in a new place doing new things with new people, and that’s how we can all feel connected.

I think it will be the most fun to figure out the best places to eat. Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors; feel free to let the Freshmen know what places we can grab a snack at and where to get the best coffee. I know I’ll need the advice, and I know plenty of others who are going to need to know where to get a coffee the fastest.

The one thing that I need to remind myself is that it’s only the beginning. Any emotions and fears I have now will seem silly in one year, and that’s also what I want to tell others beginning this year alongside me. We have time to figure it out! Let’s figure it out together.