Royal Purple Staff Goodbyes: Alyssa Skiba

These past four years, so many friends, employers
Alyssa Skiba - Managing Editor
and professors have touched my life in ways I never could have imagined. Of course there is my family too, who for better or worse have always been there for me.
If I could, I would dedicate an entire newspaper to thanking each and every one of them, but for limited space I will do what I can to show you all how much I love and appreciate everything you have done for me these past four years.
To my family: they say you don’t learn to appreciate some things until you’re older, and that is absolutely true. Thank you for keeping me in the loop and supporting me through everything my entire life. Being away from all of you has been difficult these past few years, but it has also allowed me to grow and realize how much I need every one of you.
Mom: You are the most amazing woman I know. Thanks for always being there for me and for teaching me how to be a strong, independent woman. I couldn’t have done any of this without you.
Bailey: can you believe it’s already been four years since we were trying to figure out when I’d be able to come home and play soccer and listen to you on guitar? It has been amazing watching you grow into such a beautiful, respectful, kind young lady. I couldn’t be more proud to be your aunt.
David and Zak: we made it! I wish I could be there with you as we walk the aisle Saturday, but just know I’ll be thinking of you both.
Abby: you are so funny, and I am so proud of how well you do at everything. Watching you during power lifting was beyond inspirational. Congratulations on getting accepted to UWGB. You are going to do so many great things.
Molly: as much as we may fight sometimes, I still have so many great memories of our time together in Whitewater, especially last year (remember the flannel party?). Growing up with you has given me so many crazy, random memories. You’ll always be my uptown girl.
Shendola: thank you for reaching out to me during college, and for showing me the importance of keeping in touch with those who know you best. You will always be my best friend (you know way too many secrets not to be).
Kari Kropp: I will always remember those freshman year nights when I could always count on a phone call from you. Thanks for all your love and support. I’m so glad we found each other again.
To my Tuesday night girls (Kessa, Francesca, Amanda and Katie): thanks for being there for me all this year. You girls are amazing, and definitely helped me relax after too much work and not enough play.
Tyler Lamb: you are one of the greatest people I have ever met in my life, and I am honored to be your friend. I can’t wait to kick it with you this summer.
Kuhagen: ladies and gentlemen, I can confirm that Chris Kuhagen is indeed an angel. Chris, it has been an absolute pleasure working with you this year. Thanks for putting up with me, and for helping me calm down in times of turmoil.
Tim Gumz: where do I start? Summer in Whitewater will always remind me of you. Thanks for being my “yell it out” friend. I don’t know where I’d be at this place without you. Let’s never lose touch.
Mike (my bestie): It has been amazing watching you develop as a journalist. I have so many great memories (and text messages) from this past semester. Good luck with everything next year, and if you ever feel like you’re starting to hate everyone and everything, just know I’m only a phone call away.
Dennis: you are by far the chillest person I’ve ever met in my life. Hearing your hilarious laughter during the most random times helped me get through some pretty bad days. Best of luck with your wife and kids.
Andie: I absolutely adore you. You have done so many great things, and never cease to amaze me. I can’t wait to see how the rest of your time at the Royal Purple plays out.
Kari: you hold so much potential, and I am proud to have seen that come out this semester. You also give really awesome relationship advice in the He Said She Said column, and you are always so darn cute!
Kellen: though we fly from opposite ends, I always appreciate every word that comes out of your mouth. You’ve got true East Troy blood. Try not to leave your seat at the bar so much though, ok?
Gardner: I absolutely love you. Thanks for the random conversations about anything and everything. Your hugs are so calming, and your optimism is encouraging. And no, I do not think you are a “sloot.”
Alex Wolf: it’s too bad I saw such a sassy side of you so late in the semester. But no worries, it’ll be a great memory forever. Good luck with life and sports next year.
Andrew Smith: I hope you know just how much I enjoy your snappy comebacks and comments. You are absolutely hilarious, and I love just about everything you have to say.
Emily: your upbeat personality and Southern charm was always so great to have in the office Monday nights. Thanks for being our great copy editor.
Seth: you make some wonderful graphics. I wish I was as calm and quiet as you. Best of luck next year.
Brad: this past year-and-a-half has been one of the happiest times of my life. Most of my greatest memories in college have been with you. You have been my best friend since the first day we hung out, and I couldn’t have asked for anyone better to be by my side through it all.
Barb Penington: thank you for everything you have done for me. It has been an amazing journey studying in your department. You should be very proud of the work you and the communication professors do.
James Kates: Professor Kates, I wish you knew how much I respect and admire you. You are the most hilarious, charming professor I have ever met. I will never forget those random voices that helped me get through your 9 a.m. editing class.
Dr. Wachanga: thank you for teaching me how to look at the world differently. Your lessons were like nothing I’ve ever experienced before, and I appreciate that more than you’ll ever know. You are a great professor. Thank you.
Residents Life, Jerry, Frank, Rae, Gary: I can’t express how thankful I am for all of you. Thank you for looking out for me these past four years and giving me a job to pay for college. Gary, you are the nicest guy I have ever met in my life. Thank you for making those 7 a.m. mornings cleaning up after college kids so much easier.
Roger: don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten you. But I’m still mad at you for being a quitter. Thanks for teaching me the importance of having a sense of humor at work. I’m a bit disappointed that we didn’t blow the speakers on our van before you left, though. Thanks again for everything, you truly are one-of-a-kind.
Sam Martino: oh Sam, where can I start with you? You were the first person who made me want to switch my major (remember when you made me cry on the first day of class?), but you were also the first person who showed me this is exactly what I want to do with my life. I can’t thank you enough for looking out for me, and for showing me the news. You changed my life forever.
To my fellow students at UW-Whitewater: thank you for challenging my views, making me question my actions, being that random stranger who smiles at me when I’m having a bad day or does something foolish to make me laugh. Even though I’ve gotten mad at some of you for spitting on the sidewalks or not stopping for me at the stoplight, I still love you all.
To UW-Whitewater: thanks for the great education and the good times. It has been quite a journey, and one I am proud to have taken. Thanks for preparing me for the rest of my life. Peace and love.