Kachel’s generosity should inspire

With the passing of David Kachel, UW-Whitewater alumnus and donor, it’s important we take time to recognize the many contributions Kachel has made to the university.

Seth Anderson graphic/[email protected]

Now that classes are in full swing for the semester, many of us pass by, use or even benefit from his contributions.

However, how often do we take the time to stop and acknowledge this?

The truth is we rarely do.

Kachel, who graduated from UW-Whitewater in 1948, took pride in this university.

Kachel supported numerous building projects many of us use on a daily basis and never think twice about.

We also must not forget what Kachel has done to provide affordable off-campus housing for students.

Kachel has provided numerous apartment complexes close to campus, allowing students to leave dorm life yet still be within walking distance of classes.

Annually, Kachel and his family have even put forth a   significant amount of      personal funds toward scholarships for students.

Perhaps the most important thing we should take away from this is that the education, pride and sense of community we gain here at UW-Whitewater don’t have to end here.

In our years here, we will learn far more than the knowledge it takes to be successful in our careers.

As we continue through life, it’s important we take the pride we have for our university out into the world just as Kachel did.

Like we all will, Kachel took everything he learned from UW-Whitewater with him when he graduated.

However, as successful of a businessman as Kachel became, he remained humble and never forgot about UW-Whitewater.

Kachel used his successes to benefit people other than himself.

As we grow older, graduate and move on with our lives, it’s important we hold this concept close to our hearts.

UW-Whitewater accepted each of us with open arms and we must remember that as we move on in life.

Kachel has donated millions of dollars over the years.

Though it’s not likely we’ll all be able to share that much of our successes, we can all make some kind of difference here at UW-Whitewater to benefit     others.

Giving back to the UW-Whitewater community doesn’t need to be some kind of significant monetary donation.

Following in Kachel’s footsteps and doing your part to improve UW-Whitewater can be as simple as a donation of time.

If there’s an area of studies that you excel in, one way you can make a difference is to tutor others.

Through this means, you can use your knowledge to benefit students who may struggle with some aspects.

Also, after graduation, you can become involved with the UW-Whitewater Alumni Center and Association.

Through the Alumni Center and Association, you can become involved with lecture series, athletics and help to set up   scholarships for students in need of financial aid.

Regardless of how you help, we should all follow Kachel’s lead and do whatever it is we can to improve UW-Whitewater, no matter how big or small, for future generations.

View Comments (1)

• J

John BrownFeb 13, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Kathel was one of the biggest slum lords in Whitewater and we all know it. So he gave some of the loot back to campus, thats just good business. His bank made a lot of money off Whitewater.

Reply
Kachel’s generosity should inspire