Information regarding spring semester and break

UW-Whitewater photo/Craig Schreiner

UW-Whitewater Chancellor Dwight C. Watson stops to talk with students along Warhawk Drive as new students in learning communities painted Warhawk Drive and participated in other welcome activities presented by the First Year Experience program on Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2020.

Dear Campus Community,

In our continuing effort to keep our campuses safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, adjustments have been made to our spring semester calendar. The decision was made in consultation with our governance leaders, area health department experts, community members and UW-System.

The spring semester will begin as planned on Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2021. Spring Break, however, will be held April 19-23, 2021. We will return to campus for about two weeks to complete classes, final exams and commencement. If conditions change, we will move to remote instruction for the completion of the semester. That decision will be made during the spring semester early enough to prepare for instruction, and for campus departure plans for students who will not be returning after Spring Break.

If the decision is to go remote after Spring Break, residence halls and dining services will remain open for students who prefer to remain on campus. Our costs remain the same – and in some cases have increased due to the pandemic – therefore we do not anticipate any refunds should we pivot delivery of courses to protect the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff, and communities.

We believe this decision is the best way to provide students, faculty and staff with a break during the spring semester, while also considering the concerns related to having students leave our campuses and return to our communities.

UW-Whitewater is committed to the safety of our campuses and our communities, and we also understand that a break is a necessary part of helping to support the mental health of our students and others.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dwight C. Watson
Chancellor