Diversity program to promote various cultures on campus

Career and Leadership Development and the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Student Success is hosting an event to promote discussion among students from different cultures.

Dialogue on the Human Perspective began five years ago as an annual program, but due to positive feedback, it now occurs every semester.

Through the program, students from different backgrounds are able to discuss the roles they feel they play in society and also ask others about how they view themselves in their culture.

“Students from different backgrounds get the chance to learn about each other,” said Christine Hollar, Leadership Adviser in the Career and Leadership Development Office. “They can do so in a safe environment, without being judged for the questions they ask.”

The program lasts about five hours. Students are encouraged to attend the entire event, but students can attend part of it if they have other obligations such as class, Hollar said.

Hollar said the event works best if the students attending come from different cultural backgrounds. She said on average 30 students attend each time.

“Discussions are determined by the selection of students who attend,” Hollar said. “The program isn’t run differently from year to year, the people in the program are different.”

Faculty, staff and master’s level counselor education practicum students from diverse backgrounds facilitate the program.

Hollar said the program benefits students because it expands their views on others on campus and can help them gain experience and skills for working with diverse people in the workplace.

“The problem is some students feel they are ‘diverse enough,’” Hollar said. “There is no such thing. Everyone can always learn something new about diversity.”

Dialogue on the Human Perspective will be held from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Friday in Esker 108. Students need to register by 4 p.m. today in the Career and Leadership Development Office. To register via email or for more information, contact Hollar at [email protected].