Vocal faculty prepares for night of opera

Get ready for a night at the opera. The Music Mosaics concert series is having its first show solely featuring music from the opera.

Whitewater faculty Brian Leeper, Julie Cross and Brygida Bziukiewicz-Kulig will perform in the first Music Mosaics concert featuring solely opera music.

Lecturer Brian Leeper, the voice coordinator at UW-Whitewater, is the organizer and also a participant of the event titled, “Music Mosaics: Opera Gems.”

“I hadn’t participated in a ‘Music Mosaics’ event in over three years,” Leeper said. “But when I learned that the next program would revolve around an operatic theme, I wanted to participate.”

This is the first time that a “Music Mosaics” concert solely focused on and incorporated opera music.

“I decided to be a part of this event because it is a way to try and share the concert within the department,” Leeper said.

Traditionally, within the concert series there is a special guest.

For this installment, Leeper said that the guest of honor is Mary Anne Spangler Scott from Butler University in Indianapolis, Ind.

Aside from Leeper, UW-Whitewater faculty members Julie Cross and Brygida Bziukiewicz-Kulig will also perform in the show. Karen Boe will accompany the singers on the piano.

“We will be performing very standard operatic literature,” Leeper said. “There are several pieces that students and adults alike will recognize, many are from commercials or are used as background music for popular movies and television shows.”

Leeper said that there will be several numbers performed from the opera “Carmen,” which was written by Georges Bizet in 1875.

“Most songs include more than one singer and will be performed by an ensemble,” Leeper said. “We have also implemented some students into the performance in order to make up the larger ensembles.”

Leeper said that his interest in opera started while he was getting his master’s degree in voice performance at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

“I have had over 20 leading roles in the U.S. and Italy,” Leeper said. “I also participate in a festival called ‘La Musica Lyrica’ that is held in Italy.”

It has been said that, “Many of opera’s greatest moments are when two or more characters sing together whether united in love, or at cross-purposes.” The “Music Mosaics: Opera Gems” is sure to provide one of those great moments.

The concert will take place at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 4 in the Light Recital Hall in the Center of the Arts. Tickets are $3 for students with ID and $7 for non-students.