Not your typical club sport

WEX 2020 Whitewater esports expo.

Brian Gale, Assistant Arts & Recreation Editor

When you think of sports, video games usually don’t come to mind. However the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater’s eSports Club is one of the most popular clubs on campus.

Just like any of the other club sports on campus, the eSports club competes in various tournaments. It is normally up to the team on how many tournaments they want to compete in. The eSports club has a couple teams that play different games; these games include Rainbow Six Siege, League of Legends, Rocket League, Overwatch, Valorant, and Counter Strike Global Offensive (CSGO). One of the top teams at UW-Whitewater is the Rainbow Six Siege, however they will not be playing this season because they want to focus on school this semester. The other teams are just as impressive with all teams having a 60percent win ratio. This includes a strong start to the season from the Valorant team which is under new management this year. 

The eSports Club is not just competitive. If you are someone who just likes to play video games and talk about video games there is a place for you to participate. The eSports club is host to the largest discord server on campus with over 600 members. This makes it easy to find people who like to game the same way you do. The club also likes to hold tournaments at the school for the more average gamer. As well as also having watch parties for big esports events such as things like the League of Legends World Championships. 

“If you’re new to campus, I mean, this is what it was like for me. I was new to campus and I was like, let me see if there’s a discord to join and I found that discord here. And so that’s. You know how I got into it and so I think that’s like a really good thing for You know, anybody who wants to talk with other people who love games,” says sophomore vice president Ryan Taylor.

If you would like to find out more about the esports club or how you can get involved with them join the discord.