‘Driven to Distraction’ aims to help UW-W students with ADD

Students dealing with Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder have the chance to speak openly about their difficulties by attending the counseling corner workshop Driven to Distraction at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Ambrose Health Center.

Henley

The workshop is open to anyone, whether you have ADD or ADHD, are wondering if you have ADD or ADHD, or just want to learn more about ADD or ADHD.  The workshop will inform students of symptoms and treatments, as well as teach them strategies to help make their day more organized, efficient, and less frustrating.

“The symptoms of ADD and ADHD can be very frustrating and can impede upon an individual’s schooling, career, or relationships,” Wellness Coordinator Whitney Henley said. “Because of the difficulties of living with ADD or ADHD, it is beneficial for individuals with these disorders to find productive ways to manage their symptoms.”

Symptoms of both ADD and ADHD include hyperactivity, disorganization, impulsivity, forgetfulness, having trouble staying concentrated and focused, emotional difficulties, and many more.

“There are a lot of people that have undiagnosed ADD/ADHD, and it is great if there are tips for them.  Overall, I think the workshop is a great idea,” Bigelow Hall Residence Assistant Kelsey Berndt said.

Being a resident assistant has made her realize just how many students truly are affected by either ADD or ADHD Berndt said.

If a student is searching for help with ADD or ADHD, University Health and Counseling Services are available for free.  The Ambrose Health Center has counseling services provided by trained professions, and Winther Hall has a counseling lab with UW–Whitewater graduate students in the counseling program that provide counseling services as well.  Both places are free.

Aside from the ADD and ADHD counseling corner, there will be two more counseling corners held this semester.  Positive feedback from students was received for the first counseling corner workshop of the semester that was held in September.

For more information about the ADD and ADHD workshop, contact Whitney Henley at 262-472-1305, extension 2244, or by email at [email protected].