Concealed carry policy determined

UW-Whitewater’s Chancellor Richard Telfer announced to students and faculty Monday via e-mail the university will use the UW System concealed carry policy as a guide.

The new legislation allows universities to prohibit weapons in campus facilities so long as proper signage is posted.

According to Telfer’s email, residence halls posted signs at the beginning of the semester and signs will be posted across campus soon.

Employees and volunteers of the UW System, with the exception of enforcement and peace officers, are prohibited from carrying concealed weapons in the “scope of their duties, either on or off university property,” according to Telfer’s e-mail.

Students and employees with a concealed carry permit are allowed to store concealed weapons in their vehicles as long as the weapon is cased, unloaded and out-of-sight while the owner is away from the vehicle.

The new legislation will take effect on Nov. 1, allowing concealed carry of firearms and other weapons in Wisconsin by properly trained and licensed individuals.