TOMS Campus Club raises awareness through shoe donation

“I wanted to spread the idea that TOMS are more than just cool shoes, it’s a movement to make the world a better place.”

These are the aspirations of Erin Edmunds, a junior at UW-Whitewater, who started the TOMS Campus Club this year to promote the TOMS’ “One for One” movement.

“TOMS’ ‘One for One’ movement’ matches every pair of shoes purchased with a pair of shoes for a child in need,” Edmunds said.

In 2006, TOMS was founded by Blake Mycoskie, an American traveler. Mycoskie visited a friend in Argentina and noticed the children had no shoes to protect their feet.

He felt he needed to help and began the “One for One” movement. TOMS, which stands for “Shoes for Tomorrow,” has donated more than two million pairs of shoes to children in 23 countries around the world.

Campuses across the country, including state schools like UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee, UW-Eau Claire, UW-River Falls, UW-Stout and Marquette University, also have TOMS Campus Clubs.

Edmunds and senior Taylor Warden worked to start the club this year after former UW-Whitewater student Nathan King began the process to start it last year.

Edmunds said the idea to start the club was formed by seeing students wear TOMS shoes around campus.

“Starting an organization on campus is a huge process,” Edmunds said. “Warden and I wanted to make the extra push to make sure it was on campus this year.”

Edmunds said the club will hold events this year to promote the company’s message. Two of the events will be the “Day Without Shoes” and “Style Your Sole.” “Day without Shoes” is a nationwide event where people go around barefoot to spark conversation and raise awareness about TOMS. “Style Your Sole” is also a nationwide event where people order plain black or white TOMS shoes and decorate them however they want.

“I hope a lot of people participate with these events,” Edmunds said. “Both are a great way to spread the message of the company. By participating in the ‘Style Your Sole’ event, participants are buying shoes, meaning more shoes will be given to needy children.”

Both events are scheduled to be held during the spring semester.

More than 80 students signed up for the TOMS Campus Club at the Involvement Fair and on average 20 to 30 students regularly attend the group’s meetings, Edmunds said.

“It was a great turnout for this being a new organization on campus,” Edmunds said. “I am happy with how many people are as interested as I am with the One for One movement.”

Students interested in getting involved with the TOMS Campus Club can email the group at [email protected]. The group’s next meeting is 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday Nov. 15 in Hyer Hall room 1306.