Karaoke night

By Tomera Sheets

Stage fright? Yeah right.

Stage fright was nowhere to be seen as performers stepped onto the stage at last Thursday’s Karaoke Night in the University Center Down Under.

Hosted by SEAL, the karaoke night attracted a wide range of students ready to step up to the mic.

Among the songs chosen were Lady Gaga’s “Pokerface,” “My Girl” by the Temptations, “Say My Name” by Destiny’s Child and “Man I Feel Like a Woman” by Shania Twain. Ranging from solo acts to duos to group performances, students put on quite a show.

Some performers danced both on stage and off, speaking directly to the audience, or telling jokes during the performance.

One performer, freshman Aimee Leonard, blew the audience away with “Here for the Party” by Gretchen Wilson. Leonard began by asking the crowd, “Are you here for the party?” with such charisma that everyone couldn’t help but answer her.

Leonard, a non-traditional student, had experience under her belt having completed three years of theater in high school. She admitted she ended her stage years because she suffered from stage fright, an ailment she did not show as she sang on stage Thursday.

“I forced myself to sing karaoke three times a week to get over the fear,” Leonard said. “It gave me exposure and practice.”

Although Leonard’s performance got the crowd going, it was sophomore Quinn Severson who took home the gold after an absent group wasn’t able to claim their prize. Severson walked away with a brand-new karaoke machine, which was the biggest prize of the night.

Severson engaged the audience with his surprisingly baritone voice and ontsage wit.

Although not all acts were able to walk away with a prize, many students, including sophomore Alyssa McClain, said they would recommend trying karaoke.

“It doesn’t matter if someone thinks you sound bad, it’s a way to have fun,” McClain said.

SEAL is planning another karaoke night next semester.  It will be held on Thursday, April 12 at 8 p.m. in the UC Down Under.