Student accountants host annual conference

The student organization Institute of Management Accountants proudly represented Whitewater this year at the 12th annual National Student Leadership Conference last weekend.

Matt Prentice

This year the organization traveled to Cincinnati for the conference, where over 500 students attended.

“The conference had students from universities of Florida, Denver, New York to even Hawaii,” IMA Adviser Linda Amann said.

UW-Whitewater represented the only Wisconsin university at the conference.

“I feel our small Wisconsin business school represented the conference with a big positive impact,” Matt Prentice, IMA president, said. “We have a great accounting program here at Whitewater and this conference helped in getting that national recognition for it.”

UW-Whitewater also had the largest number of students present at the event.

“They [the conference directors] made us all stand up and applauded for us, it was just a great experience to take in and made us feel proud to be from Whitewater,” Amann said.

Students participated in various fundraising activities to make this trip an affordable possibility.

“We sold hot dogs at homecoming, had magazines and T-shirts sales, and even partnered with Qdoba to help some of the funding,” Amann said.

IMA had success this year in student involvement with more than 125 members in the organization.

“We’re really proud of our organization this year,” Amann said. “Our membership has grown 60 percent in four years.”

Guest speakers from Chiquita, Kimberly-Clark, and BP shared unique personal stories and gave students advice to help further their careers in accounting.

“Students were able to see multiple speakers and walk away with many positive insights from these professionals,” Amann said.

Prentice also spoke about how the guest speakers impacted his experience at the conference.

“All these professionals have diverse experiences and backgrounds,” Prentice said. “It was beneficial to hear their stories and take in advice on how to succeed in the accounting industry.”

The conference was a great networking experience for all 22 students who attended.

“It was just a great way to see others students with the same experience levels as us and to listen to these professionals speak and figure out what it all takes to be in a management leadership role first-hand,” Prentice said.