Counseling workshop plans to help students reduce stress

With the end of the semester nearing quickly, many students may face symptoms of stress.

The University Health and Counseling Services is hosting a workshop titled “DeStress and Be Present,” to help students get educated on ways to battle stress.

The workshop takes place from 6:30-7:30 p.m. on Dec. 6 in the Rocker Room of the Ambrose Health Center.

“UW-Whitewater students who are experiencing stress have many resources available,” UHCS Wellness Coordinator Whitney Henley said. “If you just need to relax, we have great recreational facilities, massage therapy, and yoga/relaxation classes.”

Stress is accompanied by a wide range of symptoms, including, but not limited to: headaches, fatigue, crying spells, forgetfulness, resentment and boredom.

According to the National College Health Assessment, a study done in 2005 surveying 17,000 college students showed that 25 percent of students reported feeling “so depressed it was difficult to function.”

The second leading cause of death in college students is suicide, according to the NCHA.
“While it is normal to experience some level of stress, it may be beneficial to seek help when symptoms of stress begin to disrupt your daily routine, ” Henley said.

UHCS and Working for Whitewater’s Wellness is offering two free beginner classes.

Every Friday from noon to 12:45 p.m. in the Ambrose Health Center room 2023N, a class titled “Yoga, Mindfulness and Meditation,” will meet to teach students about a stress-free life. Another workshop “Happy Hour Yoga and Relaxation will meet Fridays from 4:45 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. at the Cravath Lakefront Community Center.